David E. Jones

Default Cell references in formulas become text

I'm working with Excel 2003, and the behavior for selecting cell
references seems to have changed from the way it worked in Excel 97.
When I begin a formula (inserting "=", which no longer seems to be
available as a clickable icon), then move to a cell and select it, the
selected cell reference shows in blue, as a reference should, but as
soon as I click the check mark or move the cursor out the cell, the cell
reference, e.g., =(C3), simply turns into text "C3".

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks!

--
David E. Jones