iRox

Default How do I disable Excel from changing numbers with dashes to dates?

I want to enter "7 - 13" but Excel changes it to "13 Jul 2005" I have tried
turning off AutoCorrect but that doesn't work. Does anyone know how to turn
this automatic change off?
Rowan Drummond

Format the cell(s) as Text first. Then enter 7-13.

Hope this helps
Rowan

iRox wrote:
I want to enter "7 - 13" but Excel changes it to "13 Jul 2005" I have tried
turning off AutoCorrect but that doesn't work. Does anyone know how to turn
this automatic change off?

Rowan Drummond

Delete any value (date) that you already have in the cell. With the cell
selected, from the menus select FormatCells. Select the Number tab. On
the left had side you will see a box with a number of options, click on
Text. Click OK.

Now you should be able to type 7 - 13 in the cell.

Regards
Rowan

iRox wrote:

I want to enter "7 - 13" but Excel changes it to "13 Jul 2005" I have tried
turning off AutoCorrect but that doesn't work. Does anyone know how to turn
this automatic change off?

Rowan Drummond

You're welcome!

iRox wrote:
THANK YOU!!!

-iRox

Roger Govier

Hi

As an alternative to Rowan's suggestion about pre-formatting the cells as
Text, you can precede the entry with a single quote '7 - 13.
The quote won't show up in the cell, only in the formula bar, but it will
make the cell value a text value.

Regards

Roger Govier