KymY

Default Excel 2003 Trashes Imported Dates

My local date in Windows/Reional & Language options is DD/MM/YYYY

So how come Excel 2003 trashes dates imported from MYOB Accounting for the
1st to the 12th of each month, and treats my MYOB DD/MM/YYYY dates as if they
were MM/DD/YYYY ??

Can someone get the folks (clowns ?) at MS to FIX this problem A.S.A.P.
please ??
Is there a work-around / script to fix this ?

Am getting thoroughly sick of having to manually fix the dates in ledger
reports exported to Excel 2003. (This problem doesn't occur in Excel 2000)

Alice Springs NT Australia
27/04/2005
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 02:52:06 -0700, "KymY"
wrote:

My local date in Windows/Reional & Language options is DD/MM/YYYY

So how come Excel 2003 trashes dates imported from MYOB Accounting for the
1st to the 12th of each month, and treats my MYOB DD/MM/YYYY dates as if they
were MM/DD/YYYY ??

Can someone get the folks (clowns ?) at MS to FIX this problem A.S.A.P.
please ??
Is there a work-around / script to fix this ?

Am getting thoroughly sick of having to manually fix the dates in ledger
reports exported to Excel 2003. (This problem doesn't occur in Excel 2000)

Alice Springs NT Australia
27/04/2005

Hmmm. It seems as if you posted this same problem this past February. If that
was you, what happened when you tried the suggestions given you at that time?

It'll be hard to devise a work around without that information.

It is likely a problem with the manner in which MYOB exports its data, and, if
that is the case, you should direct your complaints to MYOB to export their
data in accord with the computer's regional settings.

Several workarounds come to mind depending on how MYOB does it's export.

1. If the data is in a csv file, change it to a txt file before import. Then,
when you do the import, excel will show a text import wizard which will allow
you to specify the dmy order.

2. Temporarily change your regional settings to match the MYOB export format.

--ron
KymY

Within MYOB Premier 8, I save the report in Excel XLS format.
A screen version of the same report shows all dates in DD/MM/YYYY format.

Yet when the report is opened in Excel 2003, this problem occurrs.
(Note: Doesn't occurr with Excel 2000 (Service Pack 3))

Thanks for the script - has been a handy tool for fixes - however we often
export ledger data into Excel, usually with 5 - 10 accounts and 50 or more
transactions.
So fixing the data becomes quite time consuming.

Changing our PCs to use US date formats for our MYOB work is not an option
- due to high volume of transactions & multiple uers.

Problem seems to be the absence of a "Region"checking routine, when Excel
2003 reads a file.

MYOB are aware of the issue and working with MS on a fix - meantime, I can't
recommend Excel 2003. (Unfotunately our office dosn't have Excel 2000 - only
2003)

Gues this issue won't affect most US users - but it's a pain for others.

Duke Carey

Conceding that XL2000 handled/handles this the way you want, seems to me that
if MYOB was correctly exporting the data IN EXCEL/XLS format, it'd be a date
serial number rather than a textual representation of the date. Date serial
numbers are unambiguous and not subject to misinterpretation