tigercat73

Default relationship between columns

I'm trying to find a way to keep data in two columns matched. Say in Column A
I have loan #'s and in column B I have dates. I'm trying to find a way to
keep the entered data permanently "married" in relationship to each other. So
if I sort column A descending, the dates will move with the proper number. I
know this can be done if both columns are highlighted and column A is sorted,
but if only A is selected, the dates in B will not change with the
corresponding loan number. This would keep from making a really time
consuming mistake.
Is there a way to do this.
Thanks
Dan
Zack Barresse

You could always, in a third column...

=A1&B1

... copy down. Select column, Ctrl + C, Alt + E, S, V.

HTH

Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack)
To email, remove the NO SPAM. Please keep correspondence to the board, as
to benefit others.

"tigercat73" wrote in message
I'm trying to find a way to keep data in two columns matched. Say in
Column A
I have loan #'s and in column B I have dates. I'm trying to find a way to
keep the entered data permanently "married" in relationship to each other.
So
if I sort column A descending, the dates will move with the proper number.
know this can be done if both columns are highlighted and column A is
sorted,
but if only A is selected, the dates in B will not change with the
corresponding loan number. This would keep from making a really time
consuming mistake.
Is there a way to do this.
Thanks
Dan

i-Zapp

when sorting you dont need to actually select the column, row, or table
of data to be sorted. as long as the data takes the general form of a
data table (column headings with data directly below, with no blank
rows in between, or blank cells in the column headings) then selecting
any cell in that contiguous table and clicking the A-Z (or Z-A) sort
button will do the job. just click a cell in the column that defines
your sort criteria, and use the ascending or descending button.

--
i-Zapp
i-Zapp's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=5768