baconroll

Default Importing Data from Access

I need some help please.

I am trying to use Microsoft Query within Excel to create querys from a
database I have created in Access. This works fine for databases i have
created without any security logins but as soon as I try to connect to a
database which has secured logins, it keeps coming up with an error message
saying I do not have suffient rights to adminster the database - even though
I am putting in the correct login username/password ( i am the
administrator). Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreicated.
Regulator

This is a common problem. Although, you are most likely owner and
administrator; if you set the security to be seperate or in other words
strictly for that database, Excel is trying to log on as the admin account.
It also does not care what you type in for user name, it defaults to admin.

The solution I found was this; in the security settings for the groups and
users select admin and allow access to the necesary items. Be careful though
because anybody will have access to this information. I would recommend
granting read only. Also make sure that the admin account has permision to
open/run the database.

Hope this helps.

Reg

"baconroll" wrote:

I need some help please.

I am trying to use Microsoft Query within Excel to create querys from a
database I have created in Access. This works fine for databases i have
created without any security logins but as soon as I try to connect to a
database which has secured logins, it keeps coming up with an error message
saying I do not have suffient rights to adminster the database - even though
I am putting in the correct login username/password ( i am the
administrator). Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreicated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sharon A

I have found a way round it, but I'm not sure if it will help.

I created another user in access with no password. Obviously I won't make
user id known to anyone. I assume a password could be assigned & this put in
somewhere in the query but I don't think it's neccessary within my company.

I then went in to Edit OLE DB Query & under the User ID= I typed in the new
user name. Then under the Jet OLEDB:System database= I coped the .mdw file
stem from Targets in the properties box for the shortcut to the Access file,
including the "" 's

This seems to work, I hope I've explained it clearly (probably not!) & that
it's useful for you