Confused access user

Default my data truncates when ported from access to excel

When I port my data from access to excel the data truncates. In access the I
use a text box with the can grow setting. I have verifed that the data is
stored in the excess table. When I port it to excel using the report
feature, my data is truncated.
Alok

Hello ConfusedAccessUser,

How do you figure that Excel is truncating the data. If it is because you
cannot see the enitire data in a cell then that is only because cells can
contain larger amount of data than they can display. I think they can display
upto 512 characters but can contain more.

Alok Joshi

"Confused access user" wrote:

When I port my data from access to excel the data truncates. In access the I
use a text box with the can grow setting. I have verifed that the data is
stored in the excess table. When I port it to excel using the report
feature, my data is truncated.

Dave Peterson

I don't speak the Access, but Debra Dalgleish posted this to a similar question:
http://tinyurl.com/8uoll

In Excel, if you import using MSQuery, the memo fields should import the
text beyond 255 characters.

In Access, use the TransferSpreadsheet method to send the data, and
specify one of the later Excel versions. You can do this by creating a
macro, or writing some code, e.g.:

'======================
Sub SendTableToExcel()
DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, _
acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, "tblCustomers", _
"c:\Data\MyExcelFile.xls", True
End Sub
'===========================

Then, add a button on a form, to run the macro or the code.

--

Dave Peterson
Dave Peterson

Actually, since xl97, a cell can contain 32767 characters.

Excel's help documents that only 1024 will display in the cell. But that isn't
true. You can add lots of alt-enters to force new lines in the cell (every
80-100 characters or so) and you can see lots more.

"Confused access user" wrote:

When I port my data from access to excel the data truncates. In access the I
use a text box with the can grow setting. I have verifed that the data is
stored in the excess table. When I port it to excel using the report
feature, my data is truncated.

--

Dave Peterson
Alok

Dave,

Thanks for your response. I was not clear about the shortcomings. In many
cases I have noticed that you cannot enter more than 10/15 lines of data in
Excel and hence my rough estimate of 512 characters.

Alok Joshi