Delaina

Default Zero's # 2

I had posted before about displaying zero's. I wasn't quite as detailed
as I should've been with what I needed help on.

I have ID numbers that are 9 digits long and need to be in this formant

##-#######

I need this format to transfer into a mail merge word document, so I
need the hyphen to show up when merged. I tried doing the first 2
numbers in one column and the 2nd set in another column so I could add
the hyphen in the document and one field on one side; vice versa, but
both columns will have zero's as starting numbers and it seems excel
doesn't like it.

So my question is this:

A) Can you get a way to have the hyphen show on the merged document
from excel when it is the format that gives the cell the hyphen?

Or

B) Is there some way I can get excel to let me have numbers starting
with one or two zeros?

Thanks for all your help-my brain is FRIED!

--
Delaina
Delaina's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24151

swatsp0p

Let me ask you a question: What do your ID numbers look like in Excel
now?

I ask, because if you enter them as 12-3456789, Excel will treat them
as a text entry, and should merge them in that fashion (e.g. 12-0000789
should merge just as written).

More info, please.

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=478855

swatsp0p

As an aside, you could format your ID cells as TEXT before entering
data. Excel will then keep leading zeros, hyphens, etc.

Good Luck

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=478855

CyberTaz

Hi Delaina-

In addition to these other fine suggestions, you can also create a custom
format of 00-0000000 (even include it as part of a Style). One advantage
being that the dash need not be typed.

Regards |:)