Doug P

Default I need to sort 9 columns

I have 9,000 plus records that I am trying to sort by 9 columns (by year).
Is that possible?
Dave O

It's possible if you insert a new column and for each row enter a
formula that concatenates all of the 9 columns into a single column.
For instance:
=a1&b1&c1&d1 etc

The result is a long text string. Sorting on that column is the same
as sorting on all 9 columns.

Dave Peterson

Does this mean you want to sort 9 columns based on just that one "year" column?

If yes, just select your range (include all 9 columns), then data|sort. Follow
the dialog from there--just specify the first field and ascending or descending.

If you mean you want to have 9 levels of sort, then since xl only allows 3
fields per data|sort, you can sort by the 3 most minor, then sort by the 3
middle, then sort by the 3 major fields.

That'll be 3 different data|sorts.

--

Dave Peterson