Default Mailing List In Excel

I have a customer that wants compile his own mailing list. Since he has
excel and my mailing software imports excel files, it seems like I
should have him put his list together in excel.

Is the best way to to this to designate column A as say business name,
column B as first name, column C as last name, column D as address and
so on and so forth. All columns would be kept consistant with their
designations and each number line would be a seperate address. Would
this be the proper way to have him set up his mailing list????

Please help!

Thanks,
Todd

David McRitchie

Hi Todd,
Why are you asking us if it is your program he is going to feed.
Otherwise, hopefully there is flexibility in your program.

As far as a visual presentation goes I would put whatever is
sorted in column B, and the phone number contact in column A
as it is the phone number you would want quickest access to if
looking at a list.

If there are separate addresses, I would include all information
and not leave out company name etc when you have multiple
addresses for the same company -- makes working with
Excel and sorting a lot easier, as well as printing address labels
with mail merge. If you have multiple addresses or contacts
you might use a column to indicate primary as 1 so that you
can filter on the list as to who gets a mailing.

They can prepare their list in any order that is easy to prepare
initially and then move columns around for future use as
name and address list.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm#mouse
see " Move a Column(s) and insert between columns
without losing data" below that topic.

---
HTH,

wrote in message oups.com...
I have a customer that wants compile his own mailing list. Since he has
excel and my mailing software imports excel files, it seems like I
should have him put his list together in excel.

Is the best way to to this to designate column A as say business name,
column B as first name, column C as last name, column D as address and
so on and so forth. All columns would be kept consistant with their
designations and each number line would be a seperate address. Would
this be the proper way to have him set up his mailing list????

Please help!

Thanks,
Todd

I will give what you say a shot. I was having some trouble getting the
fields to imort correctly into my Mailers +4 software and thought it
may be the way I had my fields setup.. I would love to hear how other
people have setup mailing lists in Excel or maybe someone know of a
good template.

Thanks again,
Todd

David McRitchie

Hi Todd,
Misunderstood, thought you had written the email package, but I see
that "mailers +4" is commercial software that you use.

For myself I simply use Mail Merge and zip codes are text.
I'm guessing that you have a problem with zip codes and phone
numbers both of which I would have as text, but the software you
use might see that differently, and you do not indicate what fields
you have a problem with. Mailing software might also separate
out the house number from the street, which you can easily separate
in Excel.
---
HTH,