Stephanie D

Default How do you count cells with background color yellow?

Can anyone tell me a formula that will count the number of yellow cells in a
range.
I used =countif(AV2:HM2,"interior.colorindex = 36"). I don't get a error
message. I get "2", when it shoudl be 3 -- no matter how many yellow cells
there are, I always get "2". What am I doing wrong? sd
Alan

There is no built in function to count colours of cells, no formula will do
it. It can be done though using code, have a look at this on Chip Pearsons
site,
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm
Regards,
Alan,
"Stephanie D" <Stephanie wrote in message
Can anyone tell me a formula that will count the number of yellow cells in
range.
I used =countif(AV2:HM2,"interior.colorindex = 36"). I don't get a error
message. I get "2", when it shoudl be 3 -- no matter how many yellow cells
there are, I always get "2". What am I doing wrong? sd

Alan

The link that Bob posted seems excellent, I haven't seen that one before,
but this is really not an exact science!
The major problem it would appear is that the changing of the colour of the
cell does not constitute a change in the value of a cell in Excel and
therefore cannot trigger a macro, and does not trigger a recalculation
automatically, however using the format painter appears to do so.
Unless you code it to force a recalculation each time the colour is changed
it could easily give misleading results,
Regards,
Alan.

"Alan" wrote:

There is no built in function to count colours of cells, no formula will
do
it. It can be done though using code, have a look at this on Chip
Pearsons
site,
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm
Regards,
Alan,
"Stephanie D" <Stephanie wrote in message
Can anyone tell me a formula that will count the number of yellow cells
in
range.
I used =countif(AV2:HM2,"interior.colorindex = 36"). I don't get a
error
message. I get "2", when it shoudl be 3 -- no matter how many yellow
cells
there are, I always get "2". What am I doing wrong? sd

Stephanie D

Well the only thing I want to do is count the number of cells in a range
where the interior background color is yellow. No need to recalculate the
data in the cell nor change the color. Thanks a lot. sd