Winnie

Default How do I sort data by Month on the date format like (02/04/97)?

I try to sort the list of date by Month. But Excel only can sort by year.
Anne Troy

I think you'll have to make a new column, i.e., =year(a1) to get the year
out of your date. Then sort by that.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Winnie" wrote in message
I try to sort the list of date by Month. But Excel only can sort by year.

Todkerr

Not sorting by year....actually sorting from earliest to latest or visa versa.
You should add a column with the following formula for each date:

=month(a1) where a1 is the first date/month you want sorted.

The month formula will return the number 1 through 12 regardless of the year
of the actual date. Then you can sort by your new column....

Alternatively if you don't care about the yearly data, you could convert all
the data to the same year.

HTH

HTH

I try to sort the list of date by Month. But Excel only can sort by year.

Jay

I try to sort the list of date by Month. But Excel only can sort by
year.

One way is to use a "helper" column. In the first row of an unused column,
put
=DAY(A1)
(assuming column A holds dates) and copy down.

Then select all columns of interest, including the helper, and sort by the
helper column first.

The helper can be hidden if necessary.
Gord Dibben

Winnie

In an adjacent column enter = MONTH(A1).

Copy down then sort on that column.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:18:02 -0700, Winnie
wrote:

I try to sort the list of date by Month. But Excel only can sort by year.

Jay

I try to sort the list of date by Month. But Excel only can sort by
year.

One way is to use a "helper" column. In the first row of an unused column,
put
=MONTH(A1)
(assuming column A holds dates) and copy down.

Then select all columns of interest, including the helper, and sort by the
helper column first.

The helper can be hidden if necessary.

(I used "DAY" a minute ago, but should've used "MONTH.")