Jasmine

Default how to add word to the front of every word in all rows automatica.

I had 1000+ words in all the rows and now I would like to add a symbol "\" to
the front of every words of all rows. Example: The initial word I had is
"people" and now I would like to make it to "\people". All the rows contain
of different words and I just want to add a slash in front of evey words. I
would like to know how to make it.
Dave Peterson

Say your data is in column A.
Then insert a new column A and use a formula like:

="\"&a1
and drag down

You can select that column and
edit|copy
edit|paste special|values
and toss the original column if you want

--

Dave Peterson
RichardM

Hi Jasmine, this is how i would do it:
Assuming that your row of words are in row 1 then, copy
="\"&A1
in cell A2 then copy that cell across the rest of the row. Next select
entire row 2 and copy it. Then select entire row 1 and right click on it and
select special paste, then choose 'values'. Thats it, now you can deleted row
2and your done.

"Jasmine" wrote:

I had 1000+ words in all the rows and now I would like to add a symbol "\" to
the front of every words of all rows. Example: The initial word I had is
"people" and now I would like to make it to "\people". All the rows contain
of different words and I just want to add a slash in front of evey words. I
would like to know how to make it.

Paul Sheppard

Jasmine Wrote:
I had 1000+ words in all the rows and now I would like to add a symbol
the front of every words of all rows. Example: The initial word I had
is
"people" and now I would like to make it to "\people". All the rows
contain
of different words and I just want to add a slash in front of evey
words. I
would like to know how to make it.

Hi Jasmine

Assuming your words to be in column A, in column B1 put the following
formula =CONCATENATE(" ",A1), copy this formula down to the bottom of
your list of words, quick way to do this is to move cursor to bottom
right corner of B1 it will change to a black cross now double click it
will copy the formula all the way down, next highlight column B and
copy, paste special values to remove the formulas, finally do edit
replace space with /

Hope this helps

Paul

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=474129

swatsp0p

Another way is to, in B1 (insert a blank column B if needed), use this
formula:

="\"&A1

copy down per Paul's instructions. Then copy col. B,
pastespecialvalues over col. A, delete col. B

TIP: Always save your work BEFORE trying anything new....

Good Luck

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=474129

Earl Kiosterud

Jasmine,

You could cause a backslash to appear in front of each cell like this:
Select the cells. Format - Cells - Custom:
"\"@

If you nave numbers instead of words in some cells, you might have to use:
"\"General;"\"General;"\"General;"\"@

You can copy the code from here, and paste it into the Excel box.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Jasmine" wrote in message
I had 1000+ words in all the rows and now I would like to add a symbol "\"
the front of every words of all rows. Example: The initial word I had is
"people" and now I would like to make it to "\people". All the rows
contain
of different words and I just want to add a slash in front of evey words.
would like to know how to make it.

AlfD

Hi!

Earl: we need to be clear whether the OP wants the appearance of a \ or
the reality of a \ (format or concatenate, in effect).

I must say, I read it that s/he wanted concatenation, but it is
ambiguous, I suppose. My bet is on concatenation...

Alf

--
AlfD
AlfD's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4785

Earl Kiosterud

Alf,

I agree. The concatenation solution may well be what the OP needs. It
requires another cell to do the concatenation. The formatting solution puts
the desired backslash in place, but might confound any formulas that have a
reference to it, including some unexpected results, given Excel's penchant
for surreptitious automatic cell formatting. Many posts don't give enough
information to make the best choice, so most responders toss in any solution
that hasn't been offered, as I did, and let the OP decide.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"AlfD" wrote in message

Hi!

Earl: we need to be clear whether the OP wants the appearance of a \ or
the reality of a \ (format or concatenate, in effect).

I must say, I read it that s/he wanted concatenation, but it is
ambiguous, I suppose. My bet is on concatenation...

Alf

--
AlfD
AlfD's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=474129

David McRitchie

I would have thrown in a macro solution into the brew for text constants:
insertpref macro in http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm
or
PrefSuff macro in http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/code/join.txt

I didn't realize the subject disagrees with the post, but the body seems
explicit to me. Concatenation doesn't care what you prefix.

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote in message
[clipped] Many posts don't give enough
information to make the best choice, so most responders toss in any solution
that hasn't been offered, as I did, and let the OP decide.

"AlfD" wrote in