David McRitchie

I would have thrown in a macro solution into the brew for text constants:
insertpref macro in http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm
or
PrefSuff macro in http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/code/join.txt

I didn't realize the subject disagrees with the post, but the body seems
explicit to me. Concatenation doesn't care what you prefix.

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote in message
[clipped] Many posts don't give enough
information to make the best choice, so most responders toss in any solution
that hasn't been offered, as I did, and let the OP decide.

"AlfD" wrote in
Earl: we need to be clear whether the OP wants the appearance of a \ or
the reality of a \ (format or concatenate, in effect).

I must say, I read it that s/he wanted concatenation, but it is
ambiguous, I suppose. My bet is on concatenation...