Chet T

Default Changing negative numbers to zero

Hi all,

Is there any way to automatically change any negative numbers in a
cell to zero? For a spend down spreadsheet that I am developing, any
negative numbers will be zero. I could not find a format or function
that would do it. I would like to avoid the =if(.......0,......,0)
route because the formula in the cell already contains an if argument
and it is already too complicated. Would an array formula work? I
haven't worked with them too much. Any advice is appreciated.

TIA

Chet
B. R.Ramachandran

If those numbers (negative as well as positive) are the outcome of a
formula, you may modify the formula as,
=if(formula<0,0,formula)

Regards,
B. R. Ramachandran

"Chet T (Chet T)" wrote:

Hi all,

Is there any way to automatically change any negative numbers in a
cell to zero? For a spend down spreadsheet that I am developing, any
negative numbers will be zero. I could not find a format or function
that would do it. I would like to avoid the =if(.......0,......,0)
route because the formula in the cell already contains an if argument
and it is already too complicated. Would an array formula work? I
haven't worked with them too much. Any advice is appreciated.

TIA

Chet

B. R.Ramachandran

I apologize for my earlier reply to your posting. I didn't notice that do
not want to use the IF function to change negative numbers to zero. Sorry.

Regards,
B. R. Ramachanrdan

"Chet T (Chet T)" wrote:

Hi all,

Is there any way to automatically change any negative numbers in a
cell to zero? For a spend down spreadsheet that I am developing, any
negative numbers will be zero. I could not find a format or function
that would do it. I would like to avoid the =if(.......0,......,0)
route because the formula in the cell already contains an if argument
and it is already too complicated. Would an array formula work? I
haven't worked with them too much. Any advice is appreciated.

TIA

Chet

Dave Peterson

How about just:

=max(0,youroriginalformulahere)

If your formula returns -3, then 0 is larger and will be returned.

If your formula returns +33, then that's bigger than 0. So you'll see 33.

--

Dave Peterson
Chet T

Thanks Dave!

That did it.

Chet

Chet T wrote:

Hi all,

Is there any way to automatically change any negative numbers in a
cell to zero? For a spend down spreadsheet that I am developing, any
negative numbers will be zero. I could not find a format or function
that would do it. I would like to avoid the =if(.......0,......,0)
route because the formula in the cell already contains an if argument
and it is already too complicated. Would an array formula work? I
haven't worked with them too much. Any advice is appreciated.

TIA

Chet

--

Dave Peterson

Chet T

Thanks for the response B.R.

The formula already hase one if statement in it and I'm not sure that
I am good enough at excel yet to try to deal with two if statements.

Dave's =MAX(0,formula) response did the trick.

Thanks again.

Chet

Hi,