Jed

Default "Too many different cell formats" is preventing file from opening

An Excel 2000 workbook saved successfully but when attempting to open it
again I receive the message, "Too many different cell formats."

I have since learned that a maximum of 4000 format combinations are allowed
in a workbook. I've also learned how to correct the problem. Unfortunately,
Microsoft's instructions don't address how to get the file to open in order
to carry out the corrective actions necessary.

Any ideas about getting the file open?
Gord Dibben

A recent post from Dave Peterson on this subject..........

Saved from a previous post:

XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats

And if you ever have trouble opening this file, you may want to try
openOffice.

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

A few people have posted that they could open the file in OpenOffice, then
remove some of the formatting, save it and then excel would open that file ok.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP