Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old March 23rd 05, 10:01 PM
Steven
 
Posts: n/a
Default Can't open doc. Too many different cell formats.

I am working on creating a spreadsheet. It contains a lot of conditional
format as well as cell formats. I went to change a cell background color and
a message came up that said "Too many different cell formats" and would not
let me proceed. I closed the document and then tried to reopen it and now I
can't get my document to open. I would revert to a previous saved point if I
could get to it but I can't. I need help from those gurus out there.

  #2   Report Post  
Old March 24th 05, 03:44 AM
Dave Peterson
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Some info:

XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=213904

A few people have posted that they could open the file in OpenOffice, then
remove some of the formatting, save it and then excel would open that file ok.

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

Steven wrote:

I am working on creating a spreadsheet. It contains a lot of conditional
format as well as cell formats. I went to change a cell background color and
a message came up that said "Too many different cell formats" and would not
let me proceed. I closed the document and then tried to reopen it and now I
can't get my document to open. I would revert to a previous saved point if I
could get to it but I can't. I need help from those gurus out there.


--

Dave Peterson
  #3   Report Post  
Old March 25th 05, 05:29 PM
Steven
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Dave,
You are the MAN!!! This solutions you proposed worked and you have just
saved 5 months worth of work for me. Open Office is amazing for handling the
limitations of Excel. There is a new Open Office version 2 Beta vesion that
I also used which is just as amazing. THANK YOU for saving my skin!!!

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Some info:

XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=213904

A few people have posted that they could open the file in OpenOffice, then
remove some of the formatting, save it and then excel would open that file ok.

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

Steven wrote:

I am working on creating a spreadsheet. It contains a lot of conditional
format as well as cell formats. I went to change a cell background color and
a message came up that said "Too many different cell formats" and would not
let me proceed. I closed the document and then tried to reopen it and now I
can't get my document to open. I would revert to a previous saved point if I
could get to it but I can't. I need help from those gurus out there.


--

Dave Peterson

  #4   Report Post  
Old March 25th 05, 08:56 PM
Dave Peterson
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thanks for posting back.

Now google has your response that it works.

Steven wrote:

Dave,
You are the MAN!!! This solutions you proposed worked and you have just
saved 5 months worth of work for me. Open Office is amazing for handling the
limitations of Excel. There is a new Open Office version 2 Beta vesion that
I also used which is just as amazing. THANK YOU for saving my skin!!!

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Some info:

XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=213904

A few people have posted that they could open the file in OpenOffice, then
remove some of the formatting, save it and then excel would open that file ok.

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

Steven wrote:

I am working on creating a spreadsheet. It contains a lot of conditional
format as well as cell formats. I went to change a cell background color and
a message came up that said "Too many different cell formats" and would not
let me proceed. I closed the document and then tried to reopen it and now I
can't get my document to open. I would revert to a previous saved point if I
could get to it but I can't. I need help from those gurus out there.


--

Dave Peterson


--

Dave Peterson


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how do i use multiple conditional formats in one cell? tysonstone Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 January 22nd 05 12:15 AM
CELL FORMATS Speedy Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 January 18th 05 05:07 PM
To many different cell formats Joe Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 December 28th 04 06:22 PM
To many different cell formats Joe Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 December 28th 04 06:13 PM
GET.CELL Biff Excel Worksheet Functions 2 November 24th 04 08:16 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Excel"

 

Copyright © 2017