wheelsii

Default How do I find out how many different cell formats an existing wor.

I'm having difficulty copying a worksheet into an exisitng workbook, the
error comes back "too many cell formats". I know that Excel allows 4,000
different cell formats, but I can't tell which file needs to be adjusted to
reduce the number of cell formats. Is there a way to find out how many cell
formats are already in use in a particular file?
Gord Dibben

From a post by David McRitchie

*************************

Hi Sunil (and Peter) with requested email copy to Sunil,
Slow Response, Memory Problems, and Speeding up Excel
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...sp.htm#formats

which will send you to Leo Heuser's posting ( 2001-05-06 in programming)
http://google.com/groups?selm=OxP9cg...%40tkmsftngp02

Leo's code deletes unused formats, but at the very beginning it indicates
the number of formats and gives you a choice of whether to
continue or not. I would be a good idea to practice on a copy
of your workbook, if you use the full subroutine.

You could put the first part into Auto_Open in a code module
or in Workbook_Open in "Thisworkbook" class module, with
an informative message if over your threshold.
---
HTH, Please keep discussion in newsgroup, Leo would
be at least as interested in any comments as anyone else.
My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie*/excel/excel.htm
Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie*/excel/search.htm

Gord Dibben Excel MVP