Kirsten

Default Sorting Cells

I have a list that has 3 columns in it....a number column, a column for the
name, and then another colomn for where that file is. I am trying to list in
order of the first column (which is the number column) because that is how we
find the file. BUT, when I sort, the sorting doesnt sort right. I have 2000
numbers then 1990 numbers then more 2000 number when there shouldnt be. I
have checked all the formatting and everything seems to be the same. Can
someone help me on why this is doing this!!

Anne Troy

Hi, Kirsten. It's so frustrating when Excel doesn't recognize our data
properly. See:
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Kirsten" wrote in message
I have a list that has 3 columns in it....a number column, a column for the
name, and then another colomn for where that file is. I am trying to list
in
order of the first column (which is the number column) because that is how
we
find the file. BUT, when I sort, the sorting doesnt sort right. I have
2000
numbers then 1990 numbers then more 2000 number when there shouldnt be. I
have checked all the formatting and everything seems to be the same. Can
someone help me on why this is doing this!!

JE McGimpsey

It's likely that your numbers were entered as Text. This often happens
when pasting information into a worksheet Text entries are not affected
by number formats.

To coerce the text back to a number, copy an empty cell. Select your
numbers and choose Edit/Paste Special, selecting the Values and Add
radio buttons. Click OK.

In article ,
"Kirsten" wrote:

I have a list that has 3 columns in it....a number column, a column for the
name, and then another colomn for where that file is. I am trying to list in
order of the first column (which is the number column) because that is how we
find the file. BUT, when I sort, the sorting doesnt sort right. I have 2000
numbers then 1990 numbers then more 2000 number when there shouldnt be. I
have checked all the formatting and everything seems to be the same. Can
someone help me on why this is doing this!!

Kirsten

Still not working! I even tried to re-type the whole thing and it picks a
different group of numbers to "single out." I also tried to clear out all the
formats on the whole document and re-sort it that way and still does work.
But, the group that is "singled out" is right alligned and the others are
left aligned but there is no formating! HELP!