F.C

Default The toolbar at bottom of screen has the word calculate

My excel sheet is not updating other files when they are all opened.
The word calculate continues to appear in the ready toolbar at the bottom of
the screen. The calculation option in the tools option is set at automatic,
iteration is ticked and at maximum iterations. When a number changes the
sheet calculates this sheet but not the other opened files. This file is not
linked to any other file (i.e
it is not dependant on any data in any other file)
Can anybody explain what is causing this problem

Anne Troy

"Calculate" means there's a circular reference. Go through your worksheets
until you see the worksheet that shows the cells that contain the circ ref.
Cell references only appear on the sheet that contains them, but Calculate
appears on all sheets in the workbook when it contains a circ ref. So, if
the circ ref is intended, then usually (I think) max iterations is set to 1.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"F.C" wrote in message
My excel sheet is not updating other files when they are all opened.
The word calculate continues to appear in the ready toolbar at the bottom
of
the screen. The calculation option in the tools option is set at
automatic,
iteration is ticked and at maximum iterations. When a number changes the
sheet calculates this sheet but not the other opened files. This file is
not
linked to any other file (i.e
it is not dependant on any data in any other file)
Can anybody explain what is causing this problem

F.C

Dear Anne
Thank you for your help
My only query is that the spreedsheet doesn't indicate that there is a circ.
Sometimes the cir reference tool box comes up.
How do I prompt this circ box to appear?

Thank you

"F.C" wrote in message
My excel sheet is not updating other files when they are all opened.
The word calculate continues to appear in the ready toolbar at the bottom
of
the screen. The calculation option in the tools option is set at
automatic,
iteration is ticked and at maximum iterations. When a number changes the
sheet calculates this sheet but not the other opened files. This file is
not
linked to any other file (i.e
it is not dependant on any data in any other file)
Can anybody explain what is causing this problem

macropod

Hi FC,

This can also happen when the worksheet is complex, even when there isn't a
circular reference. See:

Cheers

"F.C" wrote in message
My excel sheet is not updating other files when they are all opened.
The word calculate continues to appear in the ready toolbar at the bottom

of
the screen. The calculation option in the tools option is set at

automatic,
iteration is ticked and at maximum iterations. When a number changes the
sheet calculates this sheet but not the other opened files. This file is

not
linked to any other file (i.e
it is not dependant on any data in any other file)
Can anybody explain what is causing this problem

F.C

Dear Anne

When I activate the circular reference tool it does not indicate that there
is a circ reference ?

"F.C" wrote in message
My excel sheet is not updating other files when they are all opened.
The word calculate continues to appear in the ready toolbar at the bottom
of
the screen. The calculation option in the tools option is set at
automatic,
iteration is ticked and at maximum iterations. When a number changes the
sheet calculates this sheet but not the other opened files. This file is
not
linked to any other file (i.e
it is not dependant on any data in any other file)
Can anybody explain what is causing this problem

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tim

Hi,
I just found a fix to this.
Go to Tools, Options, Calculation. The Iteration option must be unchecked
for the circular reference to work. I have no idea why. I have no idea how
to keep it unchecked.
Tim