target 107

Default Can I open an OpenOffice .sxc file with excel?

Someone sent me a spreadsheet created in OpenOffice with the .sxc file
extension. How can I open the file in Excel 2003. It does not recognize the
file.
Dave Peterson

Ask them to resave it as .xls
or get your own copy of OpenOffice:
http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

--

Dave Peterson
Timothy L

Microsoft Excel does not and probably never will open (or save in) OpenOffice.org (.sxc and .stc),
OpenDocument (.ods and .ots), or StarOffice's StarCalc (.sdc and .vor) spreadsheet file formats.

Your options are to:
A) Ask the sender to save the file as a Microsoft Excel 97/2000/XP/2003 spreadsheet (.xls file). Then have the
sender email you the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet.
B) Download and install OpenOffice.org at http://www.openoffice.org/ on your own computer. This will preserve
the OpenOffice.org file format and any OpenOffice.org Basic code with it.

The latest STABLE release of OpenOffice.org (at the time of this post) is OpenOffice.org 1.1.5.

OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 download page
http://download.openoffice.org/1.1.5/index.html

If you decide to install OpenOffice.org, read this:

The PDF file (which I have linked to below) has a screenshot of the installer where it asks if you want
OpenOffice.org to be the default for opening Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and/or Microsoft PowerPoint
files. This can be found on page 12 of the PDF file.

http://documentation.openoffice.org/...stallation.pdf

As long as you uncheck these options when you get to this step, OpenOffice.org won't make these changes and
the Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint (full version or the viewer) or other program will
remain the default.

NOTE: To view the PDF file above, you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Additional information and links:

To open OpenOffice.org 1.0 and 1.1 spreadsheet files (ending in .sxc and .stc), you will need to download and
install OpenOffice.org.

To open OpenDocument spreadsheet files (ending in .ods and .ots), you will need to download and install
OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 or later version.

To open StarOffice's StarCalc 1.0 (ending in .sdc) or StarCalc 3.0 - 5.0 spreadsheet files (ending in .sdc and
..vor), you will need to download and install OpenOffice.org, download and install the free version of
StarOffice 5.2 (if you can find it), or purchase StarOffice 7.0.

OpenOffice.org downloads
http://download.openoffice.org/

OpenOffice.org manuals
http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/

Again, to view PDF files, you need the Adobe Acrobat Reader.

P.S. If you are installing the free StarOffice 5.2 (Windows version), run:
so-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en.exe

Or if you had downloaded each individual part, run:
so-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en-000.exe

For the parts installer to work, you will need these files:
so-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en-001.bin
so-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en-002.bin
so-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en-003.bin
so-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en-004.bin
so-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en-005.bin
so-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en-006.bin
so-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en-007.bin

In addition, you might also want/need:

StarOffice 5.2 Player
sop-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en.exe

Database (Adabas D)
soa-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en.exe

--
Please post all replies to the newsgroup for the benefit of others.
Requests for assistance by email will NOT be acknowledged!