Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Workbooks always open maximised

I'm unsure whether this is down to Excel (version 365 in my case) or the Win 10 OS,
but so far I've not resolved it.

Whenever I open a workbook from File Explorer (Enter, or double-click), it is
displayed maximised.

Other file types like JPG/GIF/PNG open in their associated application (IrfanView in
my case) at whatever size and position they last had. Similarly with TXT files in
either own editor, TextPad or using 'Open with' Notepad. Same with Word 365. So
far I've found only Excel has the issue. Saving at the preferred size makes no
difference.

Anyone able to reproduce, or have any idea what might be going on?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm unsure whether this is down to Excel (version 365 in my case) or the Win
10 OS, but so far I've not resolved it.

Whenever I open a workbook from File Explorer (Enter, or double-click), it is
displayed maximised.

Other file types like JPG/GIF/PNG open in their associated application
(IrfanView in my case) at whatever size and position they last had. Similarly
with TXT files in either own editor, TextPad or using 'Open with' Notepad.
Same with Word 365. So far I've found only Excel has the issue. Saving at the
preferred size makes no difference.

Anyone able to reproduce, or have any idea what might be going on?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I use TabsForOffice so my UI displays (like TextPad) everything same as last
closed!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Forgot to mention that this is a MDI Window State, which I believe gets saved
with the workbook!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

GS wrote:

Forgot to mention that this is a MDI Window State, which I believe gets saved
with the workbook!

Thanks Garry. Don't know how long you've had TabsForOffice, but can you remember if
you had the behaviour I've described before that?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Terry Pinnell wrote:

I'm unsure whether this is down to Excel (version 365 in my case) or the Win 10 OS,
but so far I've not resolved it.

Whenever I open a workbook from File Explorer (Enter, or double-click), it is
displayed maximised.

Other file types like JPG/GIF/PNG open in their associated application (IrfanView in
my case) at whatever size and position they last had. Similarly with TXT files in
either own editor, TextPad or using 'Open with' Notepad. Same with Word 365. So
far I've found only Excel has the issue. Saving at the preferred size makes no
difference.

Anyone able to reproduce, or have any idea what might be going on?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

In case anyone else ends up here with a similar problem:

It went steeply downhill a bit later, refusing to even *open* any workbook.
Repeating the Win 10 'Open with...' steps didn't fix it. Nor sfc /scannow. Reboots
and cleaning tools had no effect. Nor the promising item under 'Excel 365 Help,
'Double-clicking an Office file ...'. Nor the 'Office Application' repair steps
item.

But happily this did:
Settings Control Panel Programs & Features Microsoft Office 365 - en-us
Click 'Change' Quick Repair

Files now opening and retaining their size/position.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Marking this as Solved was premature.

In my current project I usually open two workbooks: the first is one of several hundred 'sources' from which data is being copied by my macro to the other, WalkIndex. The bizarre thing is that opening any source results in it taking exactly the same size as the last size of WalkIndex. And that's true whether WalkIndex is open or closed!

Earlier I always had WalkIndex maximised, so I only discovered this weirdness accidentally when I reduced its size. Position gets copied too, BTW, apart from the usual small offset (23 px here). And now, having just closed both workbooks, I'm once again unable to open any Excel file on my PC.

Any insights would be appreciated please.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

GS wrote:

Forgot to mention that this is a MDI Window State, which I believe gets
saved with the workbook!

Thanks Garry. Don't know how long you've had TabsForOffice, but can you
remember if you had the behaviour I've described before that?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Yes, I recall there was some of that happening with 365 on my Win7Pro (this)
machine. I've been using TFO for a few years; - I honestly don't understand why
M$ doesn't 'get there' with MSO!

I can check if it happens on my Win10 machine (runs 365, no TFO) and report
back...