css

Default highlight duplicate numbers

If I enter a number into any cell which has already been entered into another
cell, regardless of row or column, is there any way in which my attention
could be drawn to the fact that this number is already in the worksheet, i.e.
by highlighting or something similar.

css

I have run into a small problem. The conditional formatting was working fine,
but I can only have 3 conditional formats. I will be entering many different
jobs numbers and will want all of them to have a conditional format so that
if I enter the same job number somewhere else within the same worksheet, it
will be highlighted or the font will change to bold. Is it possible to
conditional format so many different numbers?

"css" wrote in message
If I enter a number into any cell which has already been entered into

another
cell, regardless of row or column, is there any way in which my attention
could be drawn to the fact that this number is already in the worksheet,

i.e.
by highlighting or something similar.

Bob Phillips

Are you up for an add-in?

Public Function MultiCat(ByRef rRng As Range, _
Optional ByVal sDelim As String = "") As String
Dim rCell As Range
For Each rCell In rRng
If rCell.Value < "" Then
MultiCat = MultiCat & sDelim & rCell.Text
End If
Next rCell
MultiCat = Mid(MultiCat, Len(sDelim) + 1)
End Function

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"css" wrote in message
If I enter a number into any cell which has already been entered into

another
cell, regardless of row or column, is there any way in which my

attention
could be drawn to the fact that this number is already in the

worksheet,
i.e.
by highlighting or something similar.

Bob Phillips

Don't know what happened here. It should read ...

Are you up for an add-in?

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.....Download.html

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"css" wrote in message
If I enter a number into any cell which has already been entered

into
another
cell, regardless of row or column, is there any way in which my

attention
could be drawn to the fact that this number is already in the

worksheet,
i.e.
by highlighting or something similar.

css

This looks great. I will add that as it is something I will deffinatley use.
However, for this purpose, 30 conditional formats still isn't enough (I know,
I'm greedy!). I need to keep a record of all job numbers for a year so there
will be hundreds of jobs numbers. Rather than setting a conditional format
for a specific number, is there any way of creating a general rule that
should 'any' number be entered more than once in the same spreadsheet, it
will alert me in some way either by a message flashing up or simply change
the font colour etc.

"css" wrote in message
If I enter a number into any cell which has already been entered

into
another
cell, regardless of row or column, is there any way in which my

attention
could be drawn to the fact that this number is already in the

worksheet,
i.e.
by highlighting or something similar.

Bob Phillips

Are you saying that if anything gets duplicated then you want it to be
coloured, with a different colour for every different value duplicated?
There are only 56 colours in the colour palette, and many of them are very
similar, you would never spot the difference.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"css" wrote in message
If I enter a number into any cell which has already been entered

into
another
cell, regardless of row or column, is there any way in which my
attention
could be drawn to the fact that this number is already in the
worksheet,
i.e.
by highlighting or something similar.

css

GOT IT! I wasn't using the first formula you suggested correctly. But I got
there in the end (changed "cell value is" to "formula is") and it's working
just how I need it to. I'm still a novice but very slowly getting there.
Many, many thanks.