Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Problem with Paste function in a Table in Excel 2010

A long performing workbook suddenly developed this strange problem. I was unable to paste into any Table cell (Table 1). The Copy function loaded a selection into the Paste buffer. Pasting functioned everywhere except within my table.

I was able to recover by copying the data from Table1 onto a scratch worksheet, converting that range into a new table. I checked to verify that the paste function worked on this new table. I then copied this new table back to a new location on Table 1's worksheet thus creating a second table on that worksheet. I checked the paste function again. It worked. But to my surprise, the paste function now also worked on Table 1 !

However, the experience has left me rattled. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has encountered this problem. I code VBA macros extensively and would like to know if I could check into the table or worksheet properties to find some clue as to what had gone wrong.

Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/25/2018 4:29 PM, Desmond Walsh wrote:
[...]

Which release/OS and are patches/updates current?

I just recently upgraded to Office 2016 and it is _much_ less stable
than old version--it's been quite easy to crash it for no apparent cause.

macro coding errors while debugging are especially good at doing the
dirty it seems I have noted. In fact, I spent the entirety of yesterday
afternoon trying to recover from a repetitive cycle of crash/restart/fix
-macro-typo/close-debug-window retriggering crash/restart/fix...

I am _not_ impressed nor pleased; I'm seriously considering seeing if
can reinstall 2010.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

[...]

Why did you replace 2010? Makes sense to keep the old version until you get a
chance to play with the new one; then remove whichever one you don't want to
keep later!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/26/2018 8:01 PM, GS wrote:

Why did you replace 2010? Makes sense to keep the old version until you
get a chance to play with the new one; then remove whichever one you
don't want to keep later!

Old machine died; went ahead and "upgraded" when replaced it...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 1/26/2018 8:01 PM, GS wrote:

Why did you replace 2010? Makes sense to keep the old version until you get
a chance to play with the new one; then remove whichever one you don't want
to keep later!

Old machine died; went ahead and "upgraded" when replaced it...

Do you still have 2010?

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 08:47:27 -0600, dpb wrote:

Old machine died; went ahead and "upgraded" when replaced it...

"updated" < "upgraded"
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/27/2018 3:25 PM, GS wrote:
On 1/26/2018 8:01 PM, GS wrote:

Why did you replace 2010? Makes sense to keep the old version until
you get a chance to play with the new one; then remove whichever one
you don't want to keep later!

Old machine died; went ahead and "upgraded" when replaced it...

Do you still have 2010?

Yes, altho I've not dug the CDs out and I no longer recall otomh whether
they were tied to the machine or whether I have the necessary license
key to install on this one...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 1/27/2018 3:25 PM, GS wrote:
On 1/26/2018 8:01 PM, GS wrote:

Why did you replace 2010? Makes sense to keep the old version until you
get a chance to play with the new one; then remove whichever one you
don't want to keep later!

Old machine died; went ahead and "upgraded" when replaced it...

Do you still have 2010?

Yes, altho I've not dug the CDs out and I no longer recall otomh whether they
were tied to the machine or whether I have the necessary license key to
install on this one...

You can install/activate MSO on 3 systems within your household. Replacing a
machine requires obtaining a new activation code if you've used up all 3 for a
given product key.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/28/2018 12:47 AM, GS wrote:
On 1/27/2018 3:25 PM, GS wrote:
On 1/26/2018 8:01 PM, GS wrote:

Why did you replace 2010? Makes sense to keep the old version until
you get a chance to play with the new one; then remove whichever
one you don't want to keep later!

Old machine died; went ahead and "upgraded" when replaced it...

Do you still have 2010?

Yes, altho I've not dug the CDs out and I no longer recall otomh
whether they were tied to the machine or whether I have the necessary
license key to install on this one...

You can install/activate MSO on 3 systems within your household.
Replacing a machine requires obtaining a new activation code if you've
used up all 3 for a given product key.

I can get to the disk from the old machine via a drive caddy; I've not
tried whether can manage to run MSO from there or not as yet, either.

It is, of course, a 32-bit version which is one of the reasons went with
the newer.

I've never had to look into the new activation code issues w/ MS; if
were to need to do so is that something that is in essence buying a new
license for the product or a way to retrieve what already had as
essentially a recovery process?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 1/28/2018 12:47 AM, GS wrote:
On 1/27/2018 3:25 PM, GS wrote:
On 1/26/2018 8:01 PM, GS wrote:

[...]

That means you'll need to rebuild your VBA projects to work with MSO x64.

I've never had to look into the new activation code issues w/ MS; if were to
need to do so is that something that is in essence buying a new license for
the product or a way to retrieve what already had as essentially a recovery
process?

If you had a license for your MSO, activation on a new computer is a recovery
process built into Windows. You can do this online or over the phone!
Basically, it's a very straight forward process; -an 'Activation Wizard'
generates a 'private key' and the service returns a 'public key' (or viceversa)
and it's done!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/28/2018 4:41 PM, GS wrote:
On 1/28/2018 12:47 AM, GS wrote:
On 1/27/2018 3:25 PM, GS wrote:
On 1/26/2018 8:01 PM, GS wrote:

[...]

OK, thanks for the info...I backed off on the 'hack' I was trying to use
to fool Excel and went with the painful but simple copy every stinkin'
cell route and that does seem to help at least some with the stability
issue altho I've still had a couple restarts today post-UDF being
removed from the project. But, it's not every hour on the hour or more now.

I did try the image on the old disk; as expected "MSO must be setup to
run" message so I've dropped it for the time being.