Commodore

Default file "save as" to floppy locks up

I use a ZIP drive and a 1.44 floppy drive to store financial information. I
keep duplicate files on the floppy. The Zip drive is the primary storage.
After saving the open file to the Zip drive, using "File"-"save-as"-"drive A"
for the backup file to be saved to floppy, I get to "File already exists,
replace? Yes, No". Accepting the overwrite, the program writes a temp file
to the floppy and never replaces the original file. The program locks up
displaying a hourglass but all floppy activity ceases. Complete system
shutdown is required to recover from lock up.

Win2000, excell2000, all latest updates.

Commodore
Juan Pablo González

It's really not a good idea to save directly to the floppy, because Excel
saves the file first with a different name, and this is a common cause for
corruption and loss of data.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214073/

Juan Pablo González
Excel MVP

"Commodore" wrote in message
I use a ZIP drive and a 1.44 floppy drive to store financial information.
keep duplicate files on the floppy. The Zip drive is the primary storage.
After saving the open file to the Zip drive, using "File"-"save-as"-"drive
A"
for the backup file to be saved to floppy, I get to "File already exists,
replace? Yes, No". Accepting the overwrite, the program writes a temp
file
to the floppy and never replaces the original file. The program locks up
displaying a hourglass but all floppy activity ceases. Complete system
shutdown is required to recover from lock up.

Win2000, excell2000, all latest updates.

Commodore

garfield-n-odie

You should not save directly to a floppy disk or other removable media from
Office applications, because doing so usually results in file corruption
sooner or later. Save to the hard drive, close the file, and then use
Windows Explorer or My Computer to copy the file to the removable media.

That said, did you recently install Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4?
On some systems, this update breaks the ability to save directly to a floppy,
and Microsoft is working on a hotfix to correct the issue. See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891861 "Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000
SP4 and known issues" for more information.

"Commodore" wrote:

I use a ZIP drive and a 1.44 floppy drive to store financial information. I
keep duplicate files on the floppy. The Zip drive is the primary storage.
After saving the open file to the Zip drive, using "File"-"save-as"-"drive A"
for the backup file to be saved to floppy, I get to "File already exists,
replace? Yes, No". Accepting the overwrite, the program writes a temp file
to the floppy and never replaces the original file. The program locks up
displaying a hourglass but all floppy activity ceases. Complete system
shutdown is required to recover from lock up.

Win2000, excell2000, all latest updates.

Commodore

Commodore

I will never save financial data to a hard drive. If the data isn't on the
machine, it can't be stolen. That said, I believe I have used that update.
Can I remove it or should I wait for the hot patch to develop? TNX Commodore

"Commodore" wrote:

I use a ZIP drive and a 1.44 floppy drive to store financial information. I
keep duplicate files on the floppy. The Zip drive is the primary storage.
After saving the open file to the Zip drive, using "File"-"save-as"-"drive A"
for the backup file to be saved to floppy, I get to "File already exists,
replace? Yes, No". Accepting the overwrite, the program writes a temp file
to the floppy and never replaces the original file. The program locks up
displaying a hourglass but all floppy activity ceases. Complete system
shutdown is required to recover from lock up.

Win2000, excell2000, all latest updates.

Commodore

garfield-n-odie

Version 2 of Post-SP4 Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 is now
available on the Microsoft website. The new version fixes this
problem. There is a link to the Version 2 download at