Dominic

Default Excel XP: File name in Title Bar not changed after Save As...

Hi,

Situation: I open Excel 2002 (XP), choose a file to open (eg
"myfile.xls") and work in it.

I save a copy via File / Save as. I name it "mynewfile.xls" and click
OK.

File correctly saved; the original still exists on disk. The filename
appears correctly in the File menu in the list of recently used files.

But: the information in the Excel's title bar didn't change: it still
displays the filename of the first file.

If I understand Excel well, it saves a copy of the original file to a
new one, and keeps working with the new one. So the new filename
should appear in the title bar.

I continue working in the new file; I close Excel, open it and open
the copy (mynewfile.xls), all changes I made after the first "save as"
are well kept and saved, and now, Excel displays the correct filename
in the title bar.

Has anyone an idea how to correct the issue with the title bar
information which isn't changing after a "save as"?

I use Excel XP SP3 English (10.6713.6735) and have full local admin
access on my PC / all xls files are stored locally.

thanks in advance for any reply, information, tip or solution!

Dominic
Damon Longworth

Try closing Excel down, then reopening. When is the last time your rebooted?

--
Damon Longworth

Don't miss out on the 2005 Excel User Conference
Sept 16th and 17th
Stockyards Hotel - Ft. Worth, Texas
www.ExcelUserConference.com

"Dominic" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Dave Peterson

I've never seen xl do this.

You may want to verify that you're saving to the new file ok.

In an empty cell after the save:
=cell("Filename",a1)

Does it look ok?

(I'm guessing that something is interrupting the SaveAs--but that's a pretty
wild guess!)

======
I don't have a guess why your title bar isn't updated, but you may want to post
the version of Windows you're running to see if others with that same setup can
respond.

Dominic wrote:

[...]

Dominic

Hi Damon,

Thanks for reply.

When closing Excel and reopening, the filename in the title bar is the correct one.
When I do a "save as...", the problem reoccurs.

A close/restart of Excel is a workaround for the issue, but doesn't solve it.

Dominic

"Dominic" wrote in message
[...]

Dominic

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

I test and return with the results and requested info.

Dominic

Dominic wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

If you open excel in safe mode:

close excel
windows start button|run
excel /safe
file|open yourworkbook

And save it as a new name, does it work ok.

A macro could have changed the window caption and just saving the workbook as a
new name won't fix that.

Dominic wrote:

[...]

I use Windows 2000 SP4.
The formula =("filename",a1) returns the correct filename, also after
the save as and unchanged title bar.
The /safe slash works, but the behaviour still occurs, also in safe
mode.

I have to look to my files to see whether macro's change my title bar.
As far as I know, I never put any code to have the TB changed.

Other ideas?

Dominic

Dominic wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

Not from me.

If it still happens in safe mode, I would think you could rule out a macro as
the cause.

Maybe someone who has seen this will jump in.

Hi,

Dominic wrote:

[...]

I could solve the problem by removing my local user profile folder and
give Windows the opportunity to recreate my profile and set all
standard settings, xlt, dot, ... files.

Issue doesn't occur any more now.

Thank you all for the replies, informations and your time.

Kind regards,
Dominic