Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Merge and Center

My 2013 version of Excel has developed a problem. I can no longer
merge and center any cells. This used to work when I pressed that
button in the Home window. The button is still there but it is grayed
out and doesn't function at all. How can I get this restored to let me
merge cells that I need to? Thanks, Gordon
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gordon,

Am Thu, 12 Feb 2015 07:14:22 -0600 schrieb Gordon:

My 2013 version of Excel has developed a problem. I can no longer
merge and center any cells. This used to work when I pressed that
button in the Home window. The button is still there but it is grayed
out and doesn't function at all. How can I get this restored to let me
merge cells that I need to?

is your sheet protected?

Regards
Claus B.
--
Vista Ultimate / Windows7
Office 2007 Ultimate / 2010 Professional
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 14:19:58 +0100, Claus Busch
wrote:

Hi Gordon,

Am Thu, 12 Feb 2015 07:14:22 -0600 schrieb Gordon:

My 2013 version of Excel has developed a problem. I can no longer
merge and center any cells. This used to work when I pressed that
button in the Home window. The button is still there but it is grayed
out and doesn't function at all. How can I get this restored to let me
merge cells that I need to?

is your sheet protected?

Regards
Claus B.

I'm not sure. I tried to check this out but couldn't figure out how to
do so. If it is protected it happened without my intentions. I may
have clicked a wrong button or something like this. Gordon
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

Hi Gordon,

Am Thu, 12 Feb 2015 07:14:22 -0600 schrieb Gordon:

My 2013 version of Excel has developed a problem. I can no longer
merge and center any cells. This used to work when I pressed that
button in the Home window. The button is still there but it is grayed
out and doesn't function at all. How can I get this restored to let me
merge cells that I need to?

is your sheet protected?

Regards
Claus B.

After further digging into this problem I think I have it resolved. I
had somehow set the sheet up for sharing and this seems to have locked
the merge function down. When I removed the shared setup it seems to
have worked okay. I'll keep after this and let you know if this has
fully resolved the problem. Don't know how it got set up as shared but
I'm guessing I clicked on the wrong thing somewhere along the way.
Gordon
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gordon,

Am Thu, 12 Feb 2015 07:46:35 -0600 schrieb Gordon:

After further digging into this problem I think I have it resolved. I
had somehow set the sheet up for sharing and this seems to have locked
the merge function down. When I removed the shared setup it seems to
have worked okay. I'll keep after this and let you know if this has
fully resolved the problem. Don't know how it got set up as shared but
I'm guessing I clicked on the wrong thing somewhere along the way.

yes, that is another cause for that problem.
But with merged cells you can come in trouble if you want to sort or to
filter.
I prefer to select the cells = format cells = Alignment = Horizontal
Alignment: Center across selection

Regards
Claus B.
--
Vista Ultimate / Windows7
Office 2007 Ultimate / 2010 Professional

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gordon,

Am Thu, 12 Feb 2015 07:46:35 -0600 schrieb Gordon:

After further digging into this problem I think I have it resolved.
I had somehow set the sheet up for sharing and this seems to have
locked the merge function down. When I removed the shared setup it
seems to have worked okay. I'll keep after this and let you know if
this has fully resolved the problem. Don't know how it got set up as
shared but I'm guessing I clicked on the wrong thing somewhere along
the way.

yes, that is another cause for that problem.
But with merged cells you can come in trouble if you want to sort or
to filter.
I prefer to select the cells = format cells = Alignment =
Horizontal Alignment: Center across selection

Regards
Claus B.

I add a custom menu just for doing that, and is my preference also!<g

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc