Phil H

Default Excell, why oh why can't you just move rows up and down !!!!!

You know, back before excell, when it was multiplan on the original Mac's,
you could easily move rows and columns, inserting them INBETWEEEEEN other
rows and colums. Twenty years later you still havn't corrected the idiotic
proceedure required to move rows and columns in Excel. When you drag or
paste a row or column it should default to slipping in INBETWEEEEEN the
others. You could even have a cute little bar appear to indicate the
difference between inserting INBETWEEEEEEN things and overwriting them (like
Multiplan had). I have looked and looked for years and can't find a better
work around in Excell than to create a blank row to be over written by the
one I want to move there and then cutting and pasting the row I'm moving and
then going back and erasing the blank row Excell creates in it's place.
That's perfectly rediculous.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Ken Wright

So what you are saying is that you haven't tried selecting the rows in
question, then right-clicking between the row headers and the rows, dragging
to where it needs to go to, then letting go and choosing the 'Move here'
option, at which point Excel will (and I quote)

default to slipping in INBETWEEEEEN the others :-)

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"Phil H" wrote in message
[...]

this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Sandy Mann

to where it needs to go to, then letting go and choosing the 'Move here'

In XL 97 at least this replaces the column/row that it is covering. I
assume that you mean "Shift {Right/Down} and Move"

--
Regards

Sandy

Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

"Phil H" wrote in message
[...]

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Phil H

Well, actually that's a big improvement, using cut & paste that way, except
that it inserts the gap above the one selected for some reason.... Thanks

------------------------------Â*------------------------------Â*----------------
------------------------------Â*------------------------------Â*----------------

"Phil H" wrote in message
[...]

Jonibenj

Why not follow this procedu

1. Select the row/column you want to move and press Ctrl+X (for the
'cut' operation)
2. Go to the required place and right click on the row/column after
the point at which you want to insert
3. Select the command that says 'insert copied cells'

The row/column will be inserted, and the gap from whence it was taken
will be closed up! The same procedure can be used to transfer more
than one row/column at a time. However, when moving between sheets or
separate workbooks, the original gap will need to be deleted.

Jonathan

--
Jonibenj
Jonibenj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17048

Chris Segrave

Phil,

I'm not trying to sound like a miser by saying this, but you could simply
click on the row/column 'below' where you want it to go and inset the
cut/copied row/column.....

hope your enjoying your day mate :)

R,
Chris.