Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Indirect

I have two workbooks "A" and "B". In workbook "A", the formula

=INDIRECT("B" & ROW())

evaluates as expected. In workbook "B" it evaluates to

#VALUE!

If I change the formula in workbook "B" to

=INDIRECT("B" & TEXT(ROW(), "0"))

it now evaluates correctly. I see no obvious difference between the two workbooks. Why do I need to add "TEXT" to the formula in workbook "B" to get it to evaluate correctly?...TIA, Ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tuesday, October 1, 2013 6:18:03 PM UTC-6, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

it now evaluates correctly. I see no obvious difference between the two workbooks. Why do I need to add "TEXT" to the formula in workbook "B" to get it to evaluate correctly?...TIA, Ron

In workbook B you have selected to enable the Lotus options. Where this is located depends on your version.

In Excel 2007+, they are under the Office Button / Excel Options / Advanced

In earlier versions, explore the Tools/Options drop down menu.

Bingo!..Thanks Ron