Member

Location: Birmingham
Default Need help matching similar data...

Firstly, this is the task I'm faced with...

I've got a worksheet (Maintenance Data) listing 26,000 scheduled jobs to be undertaken in schools around birmingham from 2008 - Then I've got 5 other sheets (PM Orders 08-09, PM Orders 09-10 etc) containing approx 65,000 emergency jobs that have been completed since 2008.

What I need is to make sure none of the 65,000 completed are in with the 26,000 needing to be undertaken.

Maintenance Data contains the following column headings:
A: Site Type - B: School Code - D: Standardised School Name - E: Priority Code - G: Condition Code - I: Location - J: Element - K: Sub Element - L: Defect - M: Remedy - N: Date Entered - P: Repair Estimate Current - Q: Standardised Description - R: Sub Contractor 1 - S: Sub Contractor 2

PM Orders contains the following column headings
A: School Name - B: Standardised School Names - C: Site Type - D: School Code - E: Order No. - F: Planner Group - G: Fault Description - H: Order Type - I: Start Date - J: Total Planned Costs - K: Total Actual Costs

What I have done is to assign a unique code to each school across all work sheets however other than that there are no similar data fields so I'm at a loose end as to where to start?

How would you guys go about doing this?

Any help, GREATLY appreciated!
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay07 View Post
Firstly, this is the task I'm faced with...

I've got a worksheet (Maintenance Data) listing 26,000 scheduled jobs to be undertaken in schools around birmingham from 2008 - Then I've got 5 other sheets (PM Orders 08-09, PM Orders 09-10 etc) containing approx 65,000 emergency jobs that have been completed since 2008.

What I need is to make sure none of the 65,000 completed are in with the 26,000 needing to be undertaken.

Maintenance Data contains the following column headings:
A: Site Type - B: School Code - D: Standardised School Name - E: Priority Code - G: Condition Code - I: Location - J: Element - K: Sub Element - L: Defect - M: Remedy - N: Date Entered - P: Repair Estimate Current - Q: Standardised Description - R: Sub Contractor 1 - S: Sub Contractor 2

PM Orders contains the following column headings
A: School Name - B: Standardised School Names - C: Site Type - D: School Code - E: Order No. - F: Planner Group - G: Fault Description - H: Order Type - I: Start Date - J: Total Planned Costs - K: Total Actual Costs

What I have done is to assign a unique code to each school across all work sheets however other than that there are no similar data fields so I'm at a loose end as to where to start?

How would you guys go about doing this?

Any help, GREATLY appreciated!
I do this type of thing on a daily basis as part of my job, and with much larger data sets than you have there. Thing is, without a "unique identifier" you're gonna have a very hard time data matching.

Are there no other references available on the data? "Job number", "Date raised" etc. ?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:28:12 AM UTC-5, Jay07 wrote:
Firstly, this is the task I'm faced with...

I've got a worksheet (Maintenance Data) listing 26,000 scheduled jobs to
be undertaken in schools around birmingham from 2008 - Then I've got 5
other sheets (PM Orders 08-09, PM Orders 09-10 etc) containing approx
65,000 emergency jobs that have been completed since 2008.

What I need is to make sure none of the 65,000 completed are in with the
26,000 needing to be undertaken.

MAINTENANCE DATA CONTAINS THE FOLLOWING COLUMN HEADINGS:
A: Site Type - B: School Code - D: Standardised School Name - E:
Priority Code - G: Condition Code - I: Location - J: Element - K: Sub
Element - L: Defect - M: Remedy - N: Date Entered - P: Repair Estimate
Current - Q: Standardised Description - R: Sub Contractor 1 - S: Sub
Contractor 2

PM ORDERS CONTAINS THE FOLLOWING COLUMN HEADINGS
A: School Name - B: Standardised School Names - C: Site Type - D: School
Code - E: Order No. - F: Planner Group - G: Fault Description - H: Order
Type - I: Start Date - J: Total Planned Costs - K: Total Actual Costs

--
Jay07

I would have to see the file with examples.
Member

Location: Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
I do this type of thing on a daily basis as part of my job, and with much larger data sets than you have there. Thing is, without a "unique identifier" you're gonna have a very hard time data matching.

Are there no other references available on the data? "Job number", "Date raised" etc. ?
The only thing unique across all sheets is the school code.

The 'Maintenance Data' sheet is very detailed & accurate with all works broken down into locations/element/sub-element/revised descriptions etc - I know because I compiled it myself from condition surveys carried out in 2008.

The 'PM Orders' sheets have just been pulled from reports off a system with very open input methods so not broken down at all and just a mass of info in a cell.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay07 View Post
The only thing unique across all sheets is the school code.

The 'Maintenance Data' sheet is very detailed & accurate with all works broken down into locations/element/sub-element/revised descriptions etc - I know because I compiled it myself from condition surveys carried out in 2008.

The 'PM Orders' sheets have just been pulled from reports off a system with very open input methods so not broken down at all and just a mass of info in a cell.
Would it be possible to see some example data?
If you're not happy posting it here you can send me a PM and I'll give you an email address you could send it to...

Member

Location: Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Would it be possible to see some example data?
If you're not happy posting it here you can send me a PM and I'll give you an email address you could send it to...
Cheers bud. Just PM'd you.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay07 View Post
Cheers bud. Just PM'd you.
Excellent. Replied with an email address.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay07 View Post
Firstly, this is the task I'm faced with...

I've got a worksheet (Maintenance Data) listing 26,000 scheduled jobs to be undertaken in schools around birmingham from 2008 - Then I've got 5 other sheets (PM Orders 08-09, PM Orders 09-10 etc) containing approx 65,000 emergency jobs that have been completed since 2008.

What I need is to make sure none of the 65,000 completed are in with the 26,000 needing to be undertaken.

Maintenance Data contains the following column headings:
A: Site Type - B: School Code - D: Standardised School Name - E: Priority Code - G: Condition Code - I: Location - J: Element - K: Sub Element - L: Defect - M: Remedy - N: Date Entered - P: Repair Estimate Current - Q: Standardised Description - R: Sub Contractor 1 - S: Sub Contractor 2

PM Orders contains the following column headings
A: School Name - B: Standardised School Names - C: Site Type - D: School Code - E: Order No. - F: Planner Group - G: Fault Description - H: Order Type - I: Start Date - J: Total Planned Costs - K: Total Actual Costs

What I have done is to assign a unique code to each school across all work sheets however other than that there are no similar data fields so I'm at a loose end as to where to start?

How would you guys go about doing this?

Any help, GREATLY appreciated!

hi

the data is very common for you but its very new for us , plz attache some of the data to work on it. if don't want to attach it here you can mail it to me @