Junior Member

Location: Detroit, MI
Default Entering email addresses

I not quite sure where this question belongs but if anyone could help, would be appreciated. I have just taken over a list belonging to a club and am using Office 2000. There is a column that contains email addresses, clicking on any of the addresses allows me to edit but if I try to add an address first thing is that it changes font and color.

When I click on a new addition to edit outlook boots. I select the column and I am unable to figure out how to remove this link feature and leave it as plain text. Any help please, many thanks.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estam View Post
I not quite sure where this question belongs but if anyone could help, would be appreciated. I have just taken over a list belonging to a club and am using Office 2000. There is a column that contains email addresses, clicking on any of the addresses allows me to edit but if I try to add an address first thing is that it changes font and color.

When I click on a new addition to edit outlook boots. I select the column and I am unable to figure out how to remove this link feature and leave it as plain text. Any help please, many thanks.
Hi,

If you right click on the cell and select "Remove Hyperlink" the email address will just become text that you can edit.

There is an option to turn this function off but I'm not sure where it is in your version of Excel. Try looking for setting options for "Auto Complete" and you'll be able to switch it off here.

Hope that's of help.

S.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If many of these you may want to use a macro to change to plain text.

Sub DeleteHyperlinks()
Dim Cell As Range
For Each Cell In Intersect(Selection, _
Selection.SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlTextValues))
With ActiveSheet
.Hyperlinks.Delete
End With
Next Cell
End Sub

Gord

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 01:58:04 +0000, Estam
wrote:

I not quite sure where this question belongs but if anyone could help,
would be appreciated. I have just taken over a list belonging to a club
and am using Office 2000. There is a column that contains email
addresses, clicking on any of the addresses allows me to edit but if I
try to add an address first thing is that it changes font and color.

When I click on a new addition to edit outlook boots. I select the
column and I am unable to figure out how to remove this link feature and
leave it as plain text. Any help please, many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Additional info on preventing hyperlinks when entering email
addresses.

You turn this feature off by going to AutocorrectAutoformat as you
type.............ubcheck Internet and network paths with hyperlinks.

2003 found under ToolsAutocorrect Options

2007 found under ButtonExcel OptionsProofingAutocorrect Options.

Gord

wrote:

I not quite sure where this question belongs but if anyone could help,
would be appreciated. I have just taken over a list belonging to a club
and am using Office 2000. There is a column that contains email
addresses, clicking on any of the addresses allows me to edit but if I
try to add an address first thing is that it changes font and color.

When I click on a new addition to edit outlook boots. I select the
column and I am unable to figure out how to remove this link feature and
leave it as plain text. Any help please, many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Spencer

Not Autocomplete..............Autocorrect.

See my reply to OP

Gord

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 07:01:25 +0000, Spencer101
wrote:

There is an option to turn this function off but I'm not sure where it
is in your version of Excel. Try looking for setting options for "Auto
Complete" and you'll be able to switch it off here.

Junior Member

Location: Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Hi,

If you right click on the cell and select "Remove Hyperlink" the email address will just become text that you can edit.

There is an option to turn this function off but I'm not sure where it is in your version of Excel. Try looking for setting options for "Auto Complete" and you'll be able to switch it off here.

Hope that's of help.

S.
Office Excel 2000

Thank you, the right click on the cell worked.

Any time I type in an email address and press Enter it turns into a different font and is underlined. Does this mean every cell I have to remove this hyperlink.

I'm hoping someone can point me to a global setting where I can turn off this email feature.

Again, many thanks for your help.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estam View Post
Office Excel 2000

Thank you, the right click on the cell worked.

Any time I type in an email address and press Enter it turns into a different font and is underlined. Does this mean every cell I have to remove this hyperlink.

I'm hoping someone can point me to a global setting where I can turn off this email feature.

Again, many thanks for your help.
You may be able to highlight all the cells with email addresses in them and right click / remove hyperlinks.

To stop it doing it in the future, try:

"Tools / Auto Correct Options / Auto Format as you Type", then Under "Replace As You Type", uncheck "Internet And Network Paths With Hyperlinks".

That should do the trick.

S.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Estam explained :
Spencer101;1601270 Wrote:
Hi,

If you right click on the cell and select "Remove Hyperlink" the email
address will just become text that you can edit.

There is an option to turn this function off but I'm not sure where it
is in your version of Excel. Try looking for setting options for "Auto
Complete" and you'll be able to switch it off here.

Hope that's of help.

S.

Office Excel 2000

Thank you, the right click on the cell worked.

Any time I type in an email address and press Enter it turns into a
different font and is underlined. Does this mean every cell I have to
remove this hyperlink.

I'm hoping someone can point me to a global setting where I can turn off
this email feature.

Again, many thanks for your help.

You can change the global setting for how hyperlinks display via the
Styles dialog. Select Hyperlinks and remove the undesired formatting
via the Modify button.

Also, it might help to get in the habit of using F2 to enter EditMode
for cells you want to edit. This places the carat at the end of
existing contents. In the case of cells with hyperlinks, select a
normal cell and use the arrow keys to activate the cell you want to
edit.

--
Garry

ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Junior Member

Location: Detroit, MI

Thanks Garry, I selected the Email column and Styles and was able to globally change the font. Under Hyperlink was unable to see a Modify button.

Typing an email addy becomes blue and underlined and when clicking on it opens up multiple copies of internet explorer until it times out.

Most aggravating lol, this feature has to go..... I need to disable anything to do with Hyperlink.

Thanks again,

David...
MSOffice 2000
Excel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS[_2_] View Post
Estam explained :
Spencer101;1601270 Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Okay, using XL2000 I entered an email address and was able to modify
its appearance via the 'Modify' button in the 'Styles' dialog, on the
'Font' tab. This does not change the behavior and so when I click on a
cell (as opposed to navigating to it via arrow keys) a single instance
of my mail app's 'new message' window opens with the email address
already entered in the 'To:' field.

When I want to edit a hyperlink I click an adjacent cell and use an
arrow key to navigate to it. To enter EditMode without having to click
the cell I use the keyboard shortcut 'F2'.

AFAIK, there's no intuitive/obvious way to turn off hyperlinks.