Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
W W is offline

Default Alt Enter Creates Tab Character

Usually if I enter Edit on a cell (F2) and hit Alt+Enter, it goes to the
next line within the cell and I can enter a new line of text. I am having
a problem on one worksheet of spreadsheet where Alt+Enter does NOT go to a
new line, and instead generates a visible tab character. The font is
the same (Arial Regular 8pt) between the two worksheets. What setting
might be causing this weird behavior?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Set the formatting to wrap text and you won't see the visible
character which is probably a linefeed 0010 character, not a Tab char.

Gord

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 10:50:27 -0700, "W"
wrote:

Usually if I enter Edit on a cell (F2) and hit Alt+Enter, it goes to the
next line within the cell and I can enter a new line of text. I am having
a problem on one worksheet of spreadsheet where Alt+Enter does NOT go to a
new line, and instead generates a visible tab character. The font is
the same (Arial Regular 8pt) between the two worksheets. What setting
might be causing this weird behavior?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
W W is offline

"Gord Dibben" wrote in message
Set the formatting to wrap text and you won't see the visible
character which is probably a linefeed 0010 character, not a Tab char.

I did this originally, and it does not change the result. I still see the
character at end of line, and I do NOT get a new line while remaining in
Edit mode (F2 on the cell). And you are right it was new line character
because if I save the change I do see second line on the second line. So
data entry mode sees:

first line of cell<special character that looks like squaresecond line
of cell

all on one line instead of multiple lines. But outside of data entry this
becomes:

first line of cell
second line of cell

So I believe I must have some setting for character visualization or editing
mode set somewhere. Anyone who can guide me to this thanks.