-   -   Alt Enter Creates Tab Character (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/445679-alt-enter-creates-tab-character.html)

Alt Enter Creates Tab Character

Usually if I enter Edit on a cell (F2) and hit Alt+Enter, it goes to the
next line within the cell and I can enter a new line of text. I am having
a problem on one worksheet of spreadsheet where Alt+Enter does NOT go to a
new line, and instead generates a visible tab character. The font is
the same (Arial Regular 8pt) between the two worksheets. What setting
might be causing this weird behavior?

Gord Dibben[_2_]

Alt Enter Creates Tab Character

Set the formatting to wrap text and you won't see the visible
character which is probably a linefeed 0010 character, not a Tab char.

Gord

"Gord Dibben" wrote in message
Set the formatting to wrap text and you won't see the visible
character which is probably a linefeed 0010 character, not a Tab char.

I did this originally, and it does not change the result. I still see the
character at end of line, and I do NOT get a new line while remaining in
Edit mode (F2 on the cell). And you are right it was new line character
because if I save the change I do see second line on the second line. So
data entry mode sees:

first line of cell<special character that looks like squaresecond line
of cell

all on one line instead of multiple lines. But outside of data entry this
becomes:

first line of cell
second line of cell

So I believe I must have some setting for character visualization or editing
mode set somewhere. Anyone who can guide me to this thanks.