Junior Member

Question Generating Fresh Copies Of an Excel Document

Ok this is what I need to do with a workbook

The workbook is a log book for a flying club.
I need to be able to generate a new copy for almost every day, probably by using a button on 'yesterdays' one.

It needs to be date stamped so it will be called something like Log_23_03_12 then when you add new sheet it will be stamped Log_24_03_12 if it’s the next day but if it’s the same day it should be something like Log(2) _23_03_12.
Then each year you would start a new spreadsheet and archive the old one.

I think if I keep the first worksheet as a template so call it Log_Master. And never fill it in so when you make new sheet it is empty not full with last entries. Use this as the copy sheet. I need to work out how to copy all the sheet into a new sheet that is added after the last.

Good luck!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone in advance!
Also, I don't know much about coding, so help me a bit

Callum.W.K.
P.s. Save as wont work for this.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Generating Fresh Copies Of an Excel Document

callumwk laid this down on his screen :
[...]

I can't imagine why you'd need more than 1 log sheet for any given day,
and so why not have it display today's log if one already exists so it
only inserts a new sheet if one is needed?

Also, I'd use a workbook template with macros so that you can start a
new file for each year if desired.

Also, why use a new sheet for each day when you can use 1 per month and
show daily entries for that month. This will dramatically reduce the
size of the file AND keep the log entries organized by fiscal period.
For that matter, you could probably store a whole year's worth of
entries on a single sheet and use outlines to separate the months.
There's at least 65,536 rows on a single sheet in early versions of
Excel (over 1 million in later versions) so I can't imagine you needing
more than 1 sheet per year, 1 per month being surely enough!

Once you determine a more practical approach then the log sheet can be
used as a template for inserting new sheets as needed, OR if using 1
sheet per month OR one sheet per year you can insert all sheets and
just reuse the workbook continuously, archiving a copy for each fiscal
year if desired.

--
Garry

ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

We will see what the orginal poster says, but at my flying club, they
print out the log book sheets each day (and many days they need more
than one sheet). As planes are rented, the renter fills in the details
him/herself, signs out the plane, the sheet is authorized/signed by the
club, and the sheet is left at the desk on a clipboard. That way
everyone can see when a plane is due to be returned and who has it.
Perhaps someone enters all this info into an ongoing Excel sheet, but I
doubt it.

So all he needs is a date and page code in the template, really. If
this is what his club does.

On 2012-03-23 23:00:05 +0000, GS said:

callumwk laid this down on his screen :
Ok this is what I need to do with a workbook

The workbook is a log book for a flying club.
I need to be able to generate a new copy for almost every day, probably
by using a button on 'yesterdays' one.

It needs to be date stamped so it will be called something like
Log_23_03_12 then when you add new sheet it will be stamped Log_24_03_12
if itÕs the next day but if itÕs the same day it should be something
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

After serious thinking Diane Van wrote :
We will see what the orginal poster says, but at my flying club, they print
out the log book sheets each day (and many days they need more than one
sheet). As planes are rented, the renter fills in the details him/herself,
signs out the plane, the sheet is authorized/signed by the club, and the
sheet is left at the desk on a clipboard. That way everyone can see when a
plane is due to be returned and who has it. Perhaps someone enters all this
info into an ongoing Excel sheet, but I doubt it.

So all he needs is a date and page code in the template, really. If this is
what his club does.

Good point!
I interpret your meaning of 'print out the log book sheets' each day as
meaning this info is constantly being updated during any given day with
new info entered during the course of that day, from that manual
sign-in/sign-out sheet.

My suggestion implies a consolidated record that's being kept of each
day's activities, which gets updated with entries from some manually
written source. In this case a sign-in/sign-out template that
duplicates the log worksheet's input portion that's needed for adding
entries would have to be used. This template would obviously provide
only enough lines to fit a printed page, and would (optionally) not
need to be stored after its data was entered into the record log
worksheet.