icetrey

Default Custom List Question

I have a Checkbook Register worksheet that has a column for Type of
Transaction, i.e. ATM, Deposit, CC, etc... I also put my check number
in this same column. To make things easier I use the "Pick from List"
feature to select the type of transaction, saving me the trouble of
typing it every time.

My problem is that a long list of check numbers mount up in this list.
Numbers that I will not use again. I would like to be able to customize
the list to not show all of the previously used numbers and at the same
time give me an option to select the _next_available_unused_number_.

I tinkered with Data Validation and was able to make a custom list that
has all of the transaction types except for the one I really want which
a selection for the next available check number.

If there is anyone that can offer a solution, I would appreciate the
help.

--
icetrey
icetrey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20329

Jim Rech

I would like to be able to customize the list to not show all of the
previously used numbers

I find that the previous numbers only appear in the pick list if they are
formatted as text. If the numbers are true numbers then they do not appear.
So did you make them text deliberately? If so and it was just to left-align
them you can do that while leaving them numbers.

--
Jim
"icetrey" wrote in