Wendus

Default Very basic question - how long can a list be?

I have to make a list of names and associated information. The names (in
'surname, initial' order) are being entered in column A, with the other
information across the row, in columnss B to G. Every so often, I
click on cell A1 and get the list sorted alphabetically. All very
easy!

However, I've just realised that I'll be entering in the region of
3,500 names! My question is, simply, can I make a list that long? It's
something I've never done in Excel before, and I don't know if there's
a limit to the number of names I can put in one column on Sheet 1.
Don't think I can split the work between 3 sheets, as the whole list
will need to be put into alphabetical order, so it'd need to be one
great long list.

Many thanks.

--
Wendus
Wendus's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19295

Jim Cone

W,

As long as the data entered is text and not formulas you won't
have any problem. You will want to make a backup copy of the
workbook each time it is changed - unless you want to enter all
that data again at some time in the future.

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Wendus"

wrote in message

[...]

Anne Troy

For many versions now, Excel has been capable of 65,536 rows. Type away!
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Wendus" wrote in
message ...

[...]

drlogarithm

If I understand correctly, you are creating a fairly normal list that
is 3500 rows. No problem: Excel's max # of rows is 65536.

Wendus

Thanks peeps, I really appreciate your replies.

The list is purely text, and once entered, the content is unlikely ever
to change, so I'm off to 'Carry on Typing' now (ooh, could that be a new
film title?), safe in the knowledge that I shan't run out of rows!

Thanks again for all your help.

:)

Wendy