Jim Cone

W,

As long as the data entered is text and not formulas you won't
have any problem. You will want to make a backup copy of the
workbook each time it is changed - unless you want to enter all
that data again at some time in the future.

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Wendus"

wrote in message

I have to make a list of names and associated information. The names (in
'surname, initial' order) are being entered in column A, with the other
information across the row, in columnss B to G. Every so often, I
click on cell A1 and get the list sorted alphabetically. All very
easy!

However, I've just realised that I'll be entering in the region of
3,500 names! My question is, simply, can I make a list that long? It's
something I've never done in Excel before, and I don't know if there's
a limit to the number of names I can put in one column on Sheet 1.
Don't think I can split the work between 3 sheets, as the whole list
will need to be put into alphabetical order, so it'd need to be one
great long list.

Many thanks.

--
Wendus