tracyt620

Default Conditional Formatting

Hi there wonder if someone can help i have 4 rows with rows 2 and 4 will
showing users names I want to look in row 2 for a value in row 4 and if
this is there I want it to appear orange - I think conditional
formatting is the way to do it but not sure of the formula that shold
be in there - any help would be appreciated

--
tracyt620
tracyt620's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=5554

swatsp0p

In Cond. Formatting use:

Formula Is: =A4="yourvaluehere"

click Format and on the Patterns tab, set the fill color to orange.

Of course, adjust the cell reference (A4) to meet your needs

HTH

Bruce

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=398562

tracyt620

thanks for your help i've tried this but is still doesnt work - any
other suggestions?

--
tracyt620
tracyt620's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=5554
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=398562

swatsp0p

If that doesn't work, you will have to give more details. What
<exactly are you trying to do? Give specific cell references and
contents so it can be replicated.

Also, what happened when you followed the instructions given?

Bruce

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=398562

tracyt620

thanks for this Bruce

row 1 - )cell a)we 19th August 2005
row 2 - (cell a) Tracy Toal - (cell b) Micky Mouse - (cell c) Donald
Duck
row 3 - (cell a) we 26th August
row 4 - (cell a) Tracy Toal - (cell b) Pluto

I want cell a of row 4 to be orange so that is show Tracy Toal appears
in row 2 and 4

hope this makes sense

--
tracyt620
tracyt620's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=5554
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=398562

swatsp0p

OK, try this:

In cell A4 click FormatConditional Formatting...

Under Condition 1: Cell Value Is: choose "Equal to" and enter "=A2"
(no quotes)

click Format and select your fill color from the Pattern tab.

Note that this will highlight A4 whenever it is the same as A2.

If you specifically want to look for "Tracy Toal" then:

use Formula Is: and enter: =AND($A$4="Tracy Toal",$A$2="Tracy Toal")

click Format and select your fill color from the Pattern tab.

Does this work for you?

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=398562

swatsp0p

One other point... If you want to Highlight A4 if Tracy Toal is
<anywhere in row 2, modify the Formula Is: to this:

=AND($A$4="Tracy Toal",MATCH("Tracy Toal",A2:H2,0)0)

where A2:H2 is the range in row 2 you want to look for Tracy Toal.

HTH

Bruce

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=398562

tracyt620

thanks Bruce is there anyway I can get around hardcoding the contents of
the cell?

--
tracyt620
tracyt620's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=5554
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=398562

swatsp0p

Again, can you be more specific? What do you mean by 'hardcoding'? If
you mean rather than use the typed out name, you can use a cell
reference that contains the name instead. As in my earlier example you
could change the A2 reference to any cell you want to compare to. e.g.
if the name is stored in G5, use that reference instead.:

In A4 Under Condition 1: Cell Value Is: choose "Equal to" and enter
"=G5" (no quotes)

Is that what you meant?

Bruce