BorisS

Default in cell comment

I once saw here that there is a notation with which the alt-enter in-cell
multiple lines (or maybe even without) could be combined with comments. In
other words, there is something that can precede a comment to make the cell
know that it is just that. Anyone know what I'm talking about? It was
something with the letter 'n' and an apostrophe (or parentheses). Not sure.
--
Boris
Gary's Student

You can have your cake and eat it.
Click on a cell in which you want the comment. Then pulldown

Data Validation... and select the Input Message Tab and enter your comment.

The cell is still free for any data, text or formula you want to enter. The
comment will appear anytime you click on the cell again.

Good Luck
--
Gary's Student

"BorisS" wrote:

I once saw here that there is a notation with which the alt-enter in-cell
multiple lines (or maybe even without) could be combined with comments. In
other words, there is something that can precede a comment to make the cell
know that it is just that. Anyone know what I'm talking about? It was
something with the letter 'n' and an apostrophe (or parentheses). Not sure.
--
Boris

Gord Dibben

Boris

=a2*a1+n("my wage+bonus-4 weekly loan repayments")

The comment will show up in the formula bar but not in the cell.

Is that what you want?

To show more than one line in the results of a formula use CHAR(10)

="This is one line" & CHAR(10) & "this is another line"

Set to wrap text and autofit.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 10:37:03 -0700, BorisS
wrote:

I once saw here that there is a notation with which the alt-enter in-cell
multiple lines (or maybe even without) could be combined with comments. In
other words, there is something that can precede a comment to make the cell
know that it is just that. Anyone know what I'm talking about? It was
something with the letter 'n' and an apostrophe (or parentheses). Not sure.

Dave Peterson

Just to add to Gord's reply:

If your formula returns text, you could use:

=a1&char(10)&a2 & text("this is my comment",";;;")