capecrusader

Default Numerical grade to Alpha character

I am trying to make a spreadsheet to keep track of my grades. I am to the
point that I have a numerical grade, but I want to add another cell to keep
track of the letter grade. I want the alpha grade to update automaticly when
I update the numerical grade.
Debra Dalgleish

You can use a VLookup formula to return a letter grade, based on a
number. There are instructions for VLookup in Excel's Help, and there's
an example using letter grades he

http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Range

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Excel_Geek

Could you provide the numeric-to-alpha equivalents?

--
Excel_Geek

Excel_Geek's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26423
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=397403

capecrusader wrote:
I am trying to make a spreadsheet to keep track of my grades. I am to the
point that I have a numerical grade, but I want to add another cell to keep
track of the letter grade. I want the alpha grade to update automaticly when
I update the numerical grade.

If you only want to keep track of 5 grades (no pluses and
minuses), it might be easiest to use an IF() function.
Something like the following (customized for your numerical
grading system):

=if(A1 = 4, "A", if(A1 = 3, "B", if(A1 = 2, "C", if(A1 = 1, "D",
"F"))))

where A1 is presumed to contain the corresponding numerical
grade.

Accounting for pluses and minuses is not really much more
complex. But you might run up against the nesting limit
for IF() functions, namely 7.

capecrusader0660

100-95 A
94-90 A-
89-87 B+
86-83 B
82-80 B-
79-77 C+
76-73 C
72-70 C-
69-67 D+
66-60 D
60 F

"Excel_Geek" wrote:

Could you provide the numeric-to-alpha equivalents?

--
Excel_Geek

Excel_Geek's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26423
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=397403

BenjieLop

<< 100-95 A
94-90 A-
89-87 B+
86-83 B
82-80 B-
79-77 C+
76-73 C
72-70 C-
69-67 D+
66-60 D
60 F

First of all, the last line should read "<60" and not "60." Here is
what you need to do.

In Cells A1 to A11, enter the following numbers,

0,60,67,70,73,77,80,83,87,90,95

and in Cells B1 to B11, enter the corresponding alpha grade

F,D,D+,C-,C,C+,B-,B,B+,A-,A

In Cell D1, enter this formula,

=IF(C1=\"\",\"\",VLOOKUP(C1,A1:B11,2))

where C1 is where you enter the numeric grade and Cell D1 will give you
the equivalent alpha grade.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Regards.

--
BenjieLop

BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=11019
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=397403

Domenic

Let A1:B11 contain the following table...

0 F
60 D
67 D+
70 C-
73 C
77 C+
80 B-
83 B
87 B+
90 A-
95 A

Then, use the following formula...

=LOOKUP(C1,$A$1:$B$11)

....where C1 contains your numerical grade. Alternatively, you can
dispense with having a table and use the following formula instead...

=LOOKUP(C1,{0,60,67,70,73,77,80,83,87,90,95},{"F", "D","D+","C-","C","C+",
"B-","B","B+","A-","A"})

Hope this helps!

In article ,
"capecrusader0660" wrote: