Christy

Default Formatting Cells

Hello,

I am currently using Office 2003 - OS - Windows XP

I was just approaches with a question pertaining to Excel and thought I
would also direct to you because at this point I am unsure of the answer. Is
it possible to automatically make a cell have 10 spaces and nothing else?
For example, if you input a students name with only 6 letters, Excel will
automatically add 4 spaces after their name. Also, if the students name has
11 characters, it will only allow 10 characters to be inputted.

Thanks in Advance.

B. R.Ramachandran

If the names are in column A starting at A1, create a helper column (say B)
with the following formula in B1 and drag the formula down Column B.

=left(A1&" ",10)

There should be 9 spaces between the quotation marks, so that the formula
would correctly interpret even a single letter name (!). It will not hurt if
you enclose more spaces between the "-marks.

Regards.
B. R. Ramachandran