Paul Trenter

Default Excel Files Name Problem

Hi all, can't find a fix for this anywhere. When I open any Excel document
up it launches the application but then adds the number '1' at the end of the
file name. It doesn't seem to do this if I open a file from within excel.

Any Ideas?
Mark Hone

Hi Paul,

Do the documents you are trying to open end in .xlt rather than .xls? In
other words, are the templates rather than workbooks?

The behaviour you describe is that when you use a template. To open a
template for editing from Windows Explorer, right-click and select 'Open'
rather than 'New', which is the default when double-clicking the file.

Kind regards,

Mark

"Paul Trenter" wrote:

Hi all, can't find a fix for this anywhere. When I open any Excel document
up it launches the application but then adds the number '1' at the end of the
file name. It doesn't seem to do this if I open a file from within excel.

Any Ideas?

Paul Trenter

Thanks for the advice Mark but this doesn't seem to be a template issue.
I've deleted all templates and tried again. Even created a new blank file on
another machine and it still added the number '1' to the end of the file name
when opened on the problem machine. Don't really want to reinstall office
again but can't think of anything else.

Paul

"Paul Trenter" wrote:

Hi all, can't find a fix for this anywhere. When I open any Excel document
up it launches the application but then adds the number '1' at the end of the
file name. It doesn't seem to do this if I open a file from within excel.

Any Ideas?

Dave Peterson

It sounds like windows is using New as the default action when you doubleclick
on the filename in windows explorer.

If you right click on a *.xls file, you'll see a bunch of options--one will be
Open and one will be New. Open should be the bold (default) one.

I bet you'll see New in bold.

If that's the case, you can try this:

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

Now try double clicking on that filename.

Did it work ok?

If yes, woohoo!

If no, you could manually change the default action.

Close excel
start windows explorer
tools|folder options|file types tab
scroll down to the xls extension (microsoft excel worksheet)
click the advanced button
click on the Open item in the Actions box
click set as default
(ok your way out)

--

Dave Peterson