Corne

Default hyperlink to file

This week I have changed from excel 1997 to 2003. When I press on my
hyperlink to a file I get the message "the address from this site is
not valid. Check the address and try again (in dutch)" When ik correct
my hyperlink-address again, it works again, but when I SAVE the file
the hyperlink adjust again and I get the same message.

The hyperlink changes from:

L:\publicaties\bibliotheek\accreditaties_certifica ties\I006-RvA
certificaat zwartwit (uk).pdf

to:

../../BESTAND/publicaties/bibliotheek/accreditaties_certificaties/I006-RvA
certificaat zwartwit (uk).pdf

verandering van \ naar / ?

L: is our server...

Thanks,
Corne

--
Corne
Corne's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26346

Dave Peterson

Some people have reported that changing the base hyperlink address sometimes
fixes the problem.

File|Properties|summary tab
Hyperlink base: c:\

Personally, I like to use the =hyperlink() worksheet function. I find them
easier to change:

=hyperlink("file:////" & "L:\thatlongpath\file.pdf","Click me")

or even with that longpathfilename in an adjacent cell:

=hyperlink("file:////" & a12,"click me")

(and I've never seen the addresses in the =hyperlink() function change
magically!)

Corne wrote:

[...]

Corne

Dave,
thanks for the reply. Your answer worked. I have changed my hyperlink
base to L:\ (our server). Now after saving still the hyperlink address
changes "magically", but with the hyperlink base it works.

Still I like to now how your other proposal works. Can you please help
me with it? Where do I place "=hyperlink() worksheet function"? I must
fill in the path and what must I fill in at "file:////"?

thanks,
corne

--
Corne
Corne's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26346
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=396104

Dave Peterson

Say you have your long file name in A12.

Then in B12, put this:

=hyperlink("http:////" & a12,"Click me")

You can use any cell, but I like to use adjacent cells. It makes it easier to
see what's going on.

In fact, if the path is always the same, you could put that in A1:
L:\publicaties\bibliotheek\accreditaties_certifica ties\

Then just put the filename (w/o the path) in A12:
I006-RvA certificaat zwartwit (uk).pdf

And this in B12
=hyperlink("http:////" & $a$1 & a12,"click me")

then if the path changes, you fix A1 and all the formulas get updated.