Fred Holmes

Default Scrolling the Worksheet with the scrollbar

Windows 2000, Excel 2000

In Excel 2000, when I drag the scroll button on the scroll bar with
the mouse, nothing happens until I release the mouse button (stop the
drag) and then the worksheet "jumps" to the new position. I don't
know where to stop when I am dragging the scroll button, because I
don't see what is happening until after I stop.

With Word and other programs, when I drag the scroll button with the
mouse, the workspace scrolls continuously as I drag and I know where
to stop.

How can I fix Excel to exhibit this latter behavior?

Scrolling by clicking on the scroll arrows does scroll the worksheet
continuously, but it is much too slow for long scrolls.

Thanks,

Fred Holmes
Dave Peterson

In xl2k, don't you get a nice little yellow tooltip that tells you what line
you've scrolled to?

(If you upgrade to xl2002+, you'll get that live scrolling.)

--

Dave Peterson
Fred Holmes

Aha, Microsoft deliberately "cripples" a app so it can be fixed by an
upgrade?

A line number is of little use. I have no concept of what the line
number is of the line with the data I'm looking to scroll to. I
generally wind up programming a macro to search the date column for a
date, or something similar. But I'd rather scan the date column as I
scroll, if I'm looking for a general date range rather than an
explicit date. And tooltips in general often delay their appearance,
and sometimes don't appear at all (all apps) for reasons I've never
been able to fathom.

But, anyway, many thanks for your help. You guys (and gals) do great
work.

It's still a mystery why MS put "live scrolling" into Word 2000 but
not into Excel 2000? Maybe a test to see which way people wanted it?
But why not an option to do either as user's choice?

Fred Holmes

Fred Holmes wrote:

Windows 2000, Excel 2000

In Excel 2000, when I drag the scroll button on the scroll bar with
the mouse, nothing happens until I release the mouse button (stop the
drag) and then the worksheet "jumps" to the new position. I don't
know where to stop when I am dragging the scroll button, because I
don't see what is happening until after I stop.

With Word and other programs, when I drag the scroll button with the
mouse, the workspace scrolls continuously as I drag and I know where
to stop.

How can I fix Excel to exhibit this latter behavior?

Scrolling by clicking on the scroll arrows does scroll the worksheet
continuously, but it is much too slow for long scrolls.

Thanks,

Fred Holmes

Dave Peterson

Crippling the application is a pretty strong phrase for this <bg.

But my bet (and I don't know anything) is that the developers of Excel and the
developers of MSWord aren't usually the same people.

And with each version of office, the components of the suite of programs behave
more like each other.

==
xl2002+ doesn't have the option (tooltip or live scrolling). I think anyone who
uses live scrolling likes it better than the tooltip.