BP

Default Why can't I access workbook after saved to CD?

Every time I save a workbook, it becomes read-only on the CD. I cannot change
its attrributes because it falshes an "access denied" when I try. How am I
supposed to save my workbooks to CD so that I can work with them on other
computers?

BP

Thanks so much for the response. Yes, It is a CD-R. Forgive me for being
ignorant, but what kind of disk do I need to save my workbook? It does save
to it, but like I said it becomes read-only which is useless to me. It is a
really large file so I can't save it to any floppy that I have.

"BP" wrote in message
Every time I save a workbook, it becomes read-only on the CD. I cannot

change
its attrributes because it falshes an "access denied" when I try. How am I
supposed to save my workbooks to CD so that I can work with them on other
computers?

RagDyeR

Try copying it to your HD,
THEN, right click it in Windows Explorer,
Choose "Properties",
Find where "Attributes" resides in your Windows version (General Tab ?)
And *UNCHECK* "Read Only".

Most XL files burned to CDs will automatically acquire the "ReadOnly"
attribute.
--

HTH,

RD

"BP" wrote in message
Every time I save a workbook, it becomes read-only on the CD. I cannot

change
its attrributes because it falshes an "access denied" when I try. How am

supposed to save my workbooks to CD so that I can work with them on

other
computers?

BP

I already have saved to HD and gone through step to uncheck read-only and the
result is always the same read-only file after saving to CD-R. I don't care
how I do it or what kind of disk I save it on, but I need to save it to
something that allows it to be functional (size=5,406KB). Thanks for your
time.

"BP" wrote in message
Every time I save a workbook, it becomes read-only on the CD. I cannot

change
its attrributes because it falshes an "access denied" when I try. How am

supposed to save my workbooks to CD so that I can work with them on

other
computers?

FGM

I would try to find another way of saving it to CD because
files saved to a read only CD can be copied back to your
hard drive and used with out having to unprotect them. At
least the program I use..

"RagDyeR" wrote:

Try copying it to your HD,
THEN, right click it in Windows Explorer,
Choose "Properties",
Find where "Attributes" resides in your Windows version

(General Tab ?)
And *UNCHECK* "Read Only".

Most XL files burned to CDs will automatically acquire

the "ReadOnly"
attribute.
--

HTH,

RD
Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all

may benefit!

"BP" wrote in message

Every time I save a workbook, it becomes read-only

on the CD. I cannot
change
its attrributes because it falshes an "access

denied" when I try. How am
supposed to save my workbooks to CD so that I can

work with them on
other
computers?

.

RagDyeR

When you say:

<"but I need to save it to something that allows it to be functional "

Is your meaning, that you wish to *work* the XL file from the CD?

If that's your intent, it's almost a *sure* path to corrupting the file and
rendering it completely unusable AND unrecoverable.
There are threads in these groups, too numerous to count, recounting sad
tales of lost files while trying to do what you're attempting, with CDs
and/or floppies.

I personally work with ZIP discs, but have been accused by some folks here
of being insane to do so.

As long as I keep the file size to <50% of the disc capacity, I haven't had
a problem in these 4 years of use.

RD

"BP" wrote in message
Every time I save a workbook, it becomes read-only on the CD. I cannot

change
its attrributes because it falshes an "access denied" when I try. How

am
supposed to save my workbooks to CD so that I can work with them on

other
computers?

David Biddulph

"BP" wrote in message
"RagDyeR" wrote:
Try copying it to your HD,
THEN, right click it in Windows Explorer,
Choose "Properties",
Find where "Attributes" resides in your Windows version (General Tab ?)
And *UNCHECK* "Read Only".

Most XL files burned to CDs will automatically acquire the "ReadOnly"
attribute.

I already have saved to HD and gone through step to uncheck read-only and
the
result is always the same read-only file after saving to CD-R. I don't
care
how I do it or what kind of disk I save it on, but I need to save it to
something that allows it to be functional (size=5,406KB). Thanks for your
time.

If you're saying that you don't want to copy the file to and fro between CD
& HD, and that you want to work directly from the transportable media, then
your question is not really about Excel but about transportable media that
can be used to write as well as read. Why not use one of the thumb-sized
USB drives (Jump Drive, Flash Drive, or whatever), rather than CD?
--
David Biddulph