Colin2u

Default excel opens slow

is there a way to increase the speed that excel open.? its funny. all for the
other programs such as MS Office XP Word and soforth and even the application
that does not relates to MS Office XP opens fast. when trying to observe the
process of excel i saw that it goes through Virous scaning and networking
which I dont have. what can I do to speedup the opening process of MS Office
XP Excel?
Doug Kanter

"Colin2u" wrote in message
is there a way to increase the speed that excel open.? its funny. all for
the
other programs such as MS Office XP Word and soforth and even the
application
that does not relates to MS Office XP opens fast. when trying to observe
the
process of excel i saw that it goes through Virous scaning and networking
which I dont have. what can I do to speedup the opening process of MS
Office
XP Excel?

When you start Excel, it requests virus scanning for all your templates,
even if you're not opening any of those templates at the time. If you're not
using all of those templates, move them to another folder for storage.

Dave Peterson

You may want to try cleaning up your windows temp folder.

close excel and all other applications
windows start button|run
%temp%

and delete as many files/folders as you can.

When this folder gets cluttered, excel can be slow to load.

If that doesn't help, you may want to see if it's your file where excel stores
your toolbar customizations.

Close excel
windows start button|search
look for *.xlb (in hidden folders, too)

rename all you find to *.xlbOLD

Then start up excel.

If that worked, then delete *.xlbOLD and recustomize those toolbars the way you
had them before.

If it didn't work, close excel and rename the *.xlbOLD files back to *.xlb (no
harm, no foul!).

--

Dave Peterson