yarp

Default Enable a new dimention: sub-level of split cells

Imagine being able to have 9 additional mini-cells where cell A1 is. They'll
be called A1.A1:A1.C3. A1 won't disappear, it can have a value as well, for
example: =SUM(A1.A1:A1.C3). If I want to use this sub-level of split cells, I
have to define it, so I select a high-level cell (or a group of cells), go to
the "Data" menu and select "Sub-level split cells" and enter the number of
rows and columns I want for that cell or for each of the cells in the group.
Just like subtotals, one can choose to show the sub-level instead of the
high-level cells. If the high-level cell is blank, the sub-level will show.
I'm sure every one of you will be able to think how you would use this
feature if it was available.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Alan

Hi Yarp,
Microsoft takes a fair hammering from all and sundry but in my opinion Excel
is the best there is available. What you are proposing here would I suppose
be of use in certain circumstances but how often would it be required? Only
so much can be put into any program without it becoming so complex that its
user friendly characteristics disappear,
Regards,
Alan.
"yarp" wrote in message
[...]

Amedee Van Gasse

In , yarp told us
an interesting story. My reply to this story is at the bottom of this
message.

Imagine being able to have 9 additional mini-cells where cell A1 is.
They'll be called A1.A1:A1.C3. A1 won't disappear, it can have a
value as well, for example: =SUM(A1.A1:A1.C3). If I want to use this
sub-level of split cells, I have to define it, so I select a
high-level cell (or a group of cells), go to the "Data" menu and
select "Sub-level split cells" and enter the number of rows and
columns I want for that cell or for each of the cells in the group.
Just like subtotals, one can choose to show the sub-level instead of
the high-level cells. If the high-level cell is blank, the sub-level
will show. I'm sure every one of you will be able to think how you
would use this feature if it was available.

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,
click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the
button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...mspx?mid=cb118
67c-e626-463d-a2c5-1664c63c3b95&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc

Too complicated! KISS: Keep It Simple and Stupid!
I would just put the data on another worksheet, perhaps hidden if
required.

--
Amedee Van Gasse
yarp

Alan and Amedee,
I think you are both right.
What I propose is that Excel cells behave normally UNTIL being split by the
user. A stupid user will use Excel just like he or she was used to.
Amedee, using another worksheet does not solve the problem completely, since
there's no built-in way of connecting some very specific cells to A1 in the
original worksheet, and another group of cells to B2, for example.