Bernard

Default Tools, Options, General

Excel 2003
I inadvertently inserted a directory in the box "At start up, open all files
in..". Now, when I open Excel it tries to open 200 files - I cannot seem to
stop it in order to remove the start up directory entry in Tools, Options. I
can't let it run its course either as my PC just hangs after 40 or so files.
Only way to close the application is to Ctrl-Alt-Del

Any way to delete this entry without opening Excel, or any way to stop the
files from opening so that I can open the Tool, Options box? Thanks in
advance.
Bill Kuunders

Temporarily change the name of the directory or move most or all the files
to another directory in windows explorer.

--
Greetings from New Zealand
Bill K
"Bernard" wrote in message
Excel 2003
I inadvertently inserted a directory in the box "At start up, open all
files
in..". Now, when I open Excel it tries to open 200 files - I cannot seem
stop it in order to remove the start up directory entry in Tools, Options.
can't let it run its course either as my PC just hangs after 40 or so
files.
Only way to close the application is to Ctrl-Alt-Del

Any way to delete this entry without opening Excel, or any way to stop the
files from opening so that I can open the Tool, Options box? Thanks in
advance.

Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)

Bernard wrote:
Excel 2003
I inadvertently inserted a directory in the box "At start up, open all files
in..". Now, when I open Excel it tries to open 200 files - I cannot seem to
stop it in order to remove the start up directory entry in Tools, Options. I
can't let it run its course either as my PC just hangs after 40 or so files.
Only way to close the application is to Ctrl-Alt-Del

Any way to delete this entry without opening Excel, or any way to stop the
files from opening so that I can open the Tool, Options box? Thanks in
advance.

What happens if you just go in and rename the subdirectory to RENAMED.TEMP and
then run Excel. I expect it will complain that the desired subdirectory does
not exist and go ahead and start. At that point you should be able to fix the
Excel settings, exit Excel, and go back to rename the subdirectory again back to
what it originally was.

Good luck...

Bill

Bernard

Whay I omitted to say was that the directory is a a network directory shared
by hundreds of other users - I don't think I can either move the files of
rename the directory.......

Bernard wrote:
Whay I omitted to say was that the directory is a a network directory shared
by hundreds of other users - I don't think I can either move the files of
rename the directory.......

"Bill Kuunders" wrote:

Then just disconnect your network cable temporarily? That should keep Excel
from finding the file.

Bill
Bill Kuunders

Is the excel version yours?
I.e. can you open excel without having to login to the network?
Would give you the same result.
Regards
Bill K