Saxman

Default Coversion Of Fractions To Percentages

One of my hobbies is horse racing and I am faced with the following problem.

If one converts an incomplete fraction like 5/4 (1.25 decimal), as a
percentage it equals 44%.

Likewise 2/1 (2.0), 33%.

How can I type fractions as above in one cell, and convert/replace them
to a percentage as above in another cell? The conversion does not have
to be formatted as a percentage, just a number to use for calculations
in the next stage.
mkerstei

i am confused as to what exactly you are asking. Please explain further
as i may have a solution.

--
mkerstei
mkerstei's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25688

Roger Govier

You must be doing something incorrectly.
First mark the rrange of cells where you want to enter your data and
FormatCellsNumberPercentage
Then in a cell tpe =5/4 and it will show 125%, =2/1 will show 200%, =7/2
will show 350%

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Saxman" wrote in message
One of my hobbies is horse racing and I am faced with the following
problem.

If one converts an incomplete fraction like 5/4 (1.25 decimal), as a
percentage it equals 44%.

Likewise 2/1 (2.0), 33%.

How can I type fractions as above in one cell, and convert/replace them to
a percentage as above in another cell? The conversion does not have to be
formatted as a percentage, just a number to use for calculations in the
next stage.

Saxman

Roger Govier wrote:
You must be doing something incorrectly.
First mark the rrange of cells where you want to enter your data and
FormatCellsNumberPercentage
Then in a cell tpe =5/4 and it will show 125%, =2/1 will show 200%, =7/2
will show 350%

I probably require some sort of lookup or match function.

In cell A1 I put the value 5/4. In horse racing markets, 5/4 odds has a
44% chance. Probably the value 44 needs to be place in another cell for
lookup purposes?

What I require is a spreadsheet which will give a value of 44 in a cell
by typing in 5/4 in another cell (its equivalent).
Saxman

Gary L Brown wrote:
in Cell A1 put 5/4 which equals 1.25
in Cell B1 put the following formula...
= 1 - (A1/(A1+1))
this will equal .4444

This works fine, providing I enter =B1*100 in cell C1.

Thanks.
Gary L Brown

What I require is a spreadsheet which will give a value of 44 in a cell
by typing in 5/4 in another cell (its equivalent).

in Cell A1 put 5/4 which equals 1.25
in Cell B1 put the following formula...
= 1 - (A1/(A1+1))

Cell B1 will now equal .4444

HTH,
--
Gary Brown

If this post was helpful, please click the ''''Yes'''' button next to
''''Was this Post Helpfull to you?".

Roger Govier

Then Gary has given you the answer you want.
I had mistakenly thought you were getting an answer of 44% when you were
expecting 125%.
In case you didn't see Gary's post he wrote

with A1 =5/4
in B1= 1 - (A1/(A1+1))
will return an answer of .4444

--