mwarner

Default unexpected line breaks in .csv

I have a spreadsheet with around 125 records and 130 fields. Not all of the
fields are populated for all records; several of the fields have no entries
at all.

When I save the file in .csv format, each record gets a line break in a
different place. I can't correlate it with the length of the record in
characters or fields, or with which fields are/aren't populated. It appears
that each record is being broken into 4 pieces.

This makes it impossible to import the file into the target application.
Can anyone help me eliminate or at least learn how to work around the
problem??
Doug Kanter

"mwarner" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with around 125 records and 130 fields. Not all of
the
fields are populated for all records; several of the fields have no
entries
at all.

When I save the file in .csv format, each record gets a line break in a
different place. I can't correlate it with the length of the record in
characters or fields, or with which fields are/aren't populated. It
appears
that each record is being broken into 4 pieces.

This makes it impossible to import the file into the target application.
Can anyone help me eliminate or at least learn how to work around the
problem??

1) Do any of your records contain commas?

2) How are you viewing the CSV file? Text editor? If yes, is word wrap
turned on? Which text editor?

Earl Kiosterud

M,

I've heard of Excel doing this, though it's always written as many fields as
the greatest count of fields in any row to all the records when I've used
it. Actually, I think it's quite standard to stop writing fields when
there are no more with anything in them. If you have to have a fixed number
of fields, try the Text Write Program at www.smokeylake.com. Use the "Write
rectangular" option.
--
Earl Kiosterud