Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
W W is offline

Default Formula Displays Instead of Result One Column Only

I have a spreadsheet where in one column only any formula I enter displays
as a formula and not as a result of the formula. In Tools | Options we do
NOT have Formulas checkbox selected. Other columns in this spreadsheet
resolve the formulas to values. In the one affected column the formula
reads:

=IF(H163=1099,"x","")

What displays in the cell is the above formula as a string.

What would cause a formula to not calculate a result for one column or cell
only?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're not looking at formulas, then the cells that are showing that formula
are (probably) formatted as text.

You can fix a single cell by:
Select the cell
formatting the cell as General (or anything but Text)
re-entering the formula (Hit F2, then hit enter)

You can fix all the cells in a range by:
Selecting the range (or column)
Formatting the cells as General (or anything but Text)
Edit|replace
what: = (equal sign)
with: = (equal sign)
replace all